Question
MY HP M8100N shuts down after rebooting
Replies (14)

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 11 of 15 (784 Views)

Re: MY HP M8100N shuts down after rebooting

The quality of ECS can be spotty.  I have an ECS NF4 board that's very reliable but have seen many that go to the PC graveyard in two years.
Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 12 of 15 (762 Views)

Dang!  GRR!!  Three days out and I'm back to the same thing.  It shuts down again upon starting it up.  It didn't even start up and make it to the desktop last night.  Next we are going to test the ram.  Any other ideas are appreciated.

Beth

Top Student
Huskerbeth
Message 13 of 15 (707 Views)

I replaced the motherboard on my HP M8100N and after about 3 days my pc won't boot.  This time it's different.  Seems like there is some residual power but when I press the start button it sounds like a drive is spinning for a few seconds, and then everything shuts off.  My webcam stayed on, at least the light on it did.  Do you think this could now be a power supply issue?  Going crazy....

Beth

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 14 of 15 (694 Views)

If you're sure that the PSU, RAM, and MB are good, then the OS must be at fault.  Per my previous post, you want to disconnect the hard drive to eliminate software issue.  Next step is to test with a quality PSU.  Once you can boot into windows, run Memtest86 to test RAM.

Intermittent error is very difficult for a novice person to isolate.  A pro will usually take the board outside the case and test with known good components (PSU, RAM, and windows).  If the problem persists, then the MB is defective.

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 15 of 15 (682 Views)

Beth,

It could be many things - but as to memory - your machine can operate with a single memory stick - try using one at a time.  I am sure it will run quite slowly - but it should be enough for you to verify if one of the memory modules is at fault.

As to the power supply - it could be that - the only way to really verify is to swap out the power supply...

If the power switch were to stick on (its normally a make/break connection when you push it) - the system could be interpreting it as the signal to shut the system down.   Normally - if a PC were to hang, holding down the power switch for 5 seconds or so shuts it down.  A flaky power switch could simulate that.

-dm (an HP employee, but the thoughts/comments/suggestions/recommendations are mine, not my employers) 

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation