Question

Honor Student
achorak
Message 1 of 10 (1,541 Views)

Memory card reader not working

I have an HP pavillion 6180t that we've had about 2 years.  Card reader doesn't work anymore.  Used to read my SDHC card.  Does not read anymore.  Green light does come on when I insert it, but none of the card readers show up under My Computer.  Same card was working yesterday but doesn't today.  Tried updating drivers, no drivers to update.  Restarted computer, no change.  Have not installed any new programs since yesterday. 

Any suggestions?

Tutor
deltacsh
Message 2 of 10 (1,503 Views)

Re: Memory card reader not working

You are not alone!  Exactly the same thing happened to me.  I suspect some fix was installed, and that caused the problem.

Honor Student
achorak
Message 3 of 10 (1,499 Views)

Do you also have Avast antivirus installed on your computer?  I checked my programs, and that is the only thing that updated yesterday.

Tutor
deltacsh
Message 4 of 10 (1,495 Views)

No, I run Norton 360.  I haven't checked, yet, but I thought Microsoft might have done an update at night.  I'll check now.

Tutor
deltacsh
Message 5 of 10 (1,494 Views)

I guessed wrong.  No MS updates for several weeks.  

Still, I'm sure somebody ran a change on us.

Tutor
deltacsh
Message 6 of 10 (1,488 Views)

Question for you: are you running 64 bit Win 7?  I have other (non win 7 -64 bit) pc's that still read the memory card

Honor Student
achorak
Message 7 of 10 (1,487 Views)

Yes, running 64 bit win 7

Tutor
vcmorrison
Message 8 of 10 (1,397 Views)

I own a hp9180t which started out as a Vista unit which was then upgraded to Window 7. The 15 in 1 memory card worked at that time. I was trying to install sp1 but with no success. After trying a number of options, each failed, I then re-installed window 7 upgrade over existing which fixed all my install problems. After all updates were installed I then checked to see if all drives were present. At first none of the memory cards drives were present but some how I got them to show up again.  (Fast forward about a month), I went to use the memory card reader only to realized none of the drives for the card reader were displayed or available.

Up until the card reader stopped working, it would display a "red" light at every other boot up and worked fine at every boot up. Now it always displays a "green" light and will some times work for the Sony memory stick. I say some times because if I remove it the drive letter goes away and I have to re-boot the unit with the "memory stick" installed for it to work again.   

Tutor
deltacsh
Message 9 of 10 (1,394 Views)

Hmmm, I haven't tried rebooting with the memory card in place.  My green light comes on when I insert the card, but the auto play fails, and the reader shows up in windows explorer, but it doesn't see the card.  I'll try the reboot later.

Honor Student
ugenewhit
Message 10 of 10 (846 Views)

windows XP:   Lost my Memory card reader.   cannot plug camera nor SD card in.  when I go to my computer the designated letters for the memory card readers are missing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation