Question

Honor Student
dleaf710
Message 1 of 3 (137 Views)

Monitor goes to sleep during recovery

[ Edited ]

I recently have been having issues with my PC so on my last day off i took a crack at repairing a few things.

I run windows 7 with a radeon 5900 card.

So it stopped logging me into my profile and set up a temp profile, i figured this was a great time for a full format as i didnt NEED anything on the computer. On restart i hit f11 and started up the recovery tool. I chose to not backup anything and start the format, at 2% my screen goes to sleep and all the fans on my computer go into overdrive, sounds like my pc could take off. I waited for 45 minutes incase it was part of the recovery as many sites suggested screens may turn off and the comp may restart. This did not happen. I tried restarting the computer and now am only able to get into the basic f10 setup menu, any further into startup and it says BOOTMGR missing press ctr+alt+delete to restart.

I am at a complete loss as to what the next step I should take is, as sites range from graphics problems to a fried motherboard or RAM. any help would be appreciated, and cost is a major factor so please try to keep my options cost effective if possible.

-Dleaf

**HP Pavolion Elite HPE-480t **

**Radeon 5900**

**windows 7**

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 2 of 3 (104 Views)

Re: Monitor goes to sleep during recovery

Hi dleaf710, welcome to the HP Forums. It is possible the hard drive is failing, which can cause the error message you are receiving. First try the steps in this document:  Error: BOOTMGR is missing

If that fails, you can try to test your hard drive using this method:  Testing the Hard Drive Using SMART

If the hard drive fails, or is not listed, it is likely that you will need to replaced the hard drive.

Let me know how it turns out.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
dleaf710
Message 3 of 3 (86 Views)

Re: Monitor goes to sleep during recovery

Thx TwoPointoh,

I have gone through the BOOTMGR document and unfortunately none of these solutions work and my reapir CD has the same issue when I try to run the repair from there. 

I tseted my Hard drive and it failed so I guess I am going to have to get a new hard drive and operating system. Unfortunately that is rather costly so i will be waiting on fixing my PC

Thanks again, and if anyone knows of any cheap ways to fix this or of any places that bundle internal hard drives and software please let me know.

-Dleaf710

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation