Question

Top Student
charliegoff
Message 1 of 8 (1,716 Views)

Motherboard Test

Does HP Computers have a program that will check out the motherboard? Thanks for the help.

Charlie

Intern
Techgenius
Message 2 of 8 (1,679 Views)

Re: Motherboard Test

Hi,

Don't mind me asking .. what is that is the problem or the reason for you to test the motherboard. There is actually a hardware tool and not a software for checking motherboards.

Thanks

Honor Student
Fujisd
Message 3 of 8 (1,673 Views)

Hi,

Could you let me know what the hardware tool is? I have a d5100t desktop and tried to add another internal harddrive to the computer, but when I went to turn on the computer nothing happened on the screen. It powered all of my DVD drives, Fans, and hard Drive, but nothing else worked. I don't have power to my mouse or keyboard, and the BIOS screen doesn't even pop up. It is just a blank screen and no boot sounds. I am pretty sure that my MB is the reason.

thanks,

Spencer

Intern
Techgenius
Message 4 of 8 (1,660 Views)

Hi Spencer,

Thanks for the update. Quick question -- Does the machine power up and work properly with the original hard drive. If not more then likely it your power supply thats not functioning properly. Even though the machine turns on all your devices are not getting 100% that could be the reason why there is no display or anything on your screen. At this point If you have a spare power supply replace it and see.

Kindly post the results

Thanks

Top Student
charliegoff
Message 5 of 8 (1,646 Views)

Had my PC in shop.  Tech said my motherboard blew the power supply.   I am doubting his answer, but I was wanting

to check out my motherboard to see if that is possible.  Have been on the forum and asked that question and two

different techs said that they didn't think  my shop tech was right.  What do you think?

Charlie

Intern
Techgenius
Message 6 of 8 (1,627 Views)

Hi Spencer,

Motherboard don't cause the power supply to go bad ( Its the other way around. A bad power supply can blow a motherboard).

In your case it seems the Power supply went bad, which occasionally  happens in desktops.

What happens is the Power supply does not supply complete power to the motherboard and therefore the machine does not boot. Some power supply have a green or red right , they keep blinking when they go bad.

I would say look for a power supply on newegg.com or amazon.com should not cause more then $35.00

If you need help replacing it post please.

Regards

Honor Student
Jaime2767
Message 7 of 8 (1,603 Views)

I'd like to know how this worked out. I have a HP Media Center PC s7600n (2006). AMD 64. I had noticed a couple of months ago that sometimes I would have to reboot to bring the monitor out of sleep mode. I mean I'm sure it was out of sleep mode but it was not displaying anything except a single thin line across the top of the screen. On reboot it was fine. Now the PC comes on, Hard Drive runs, DVD works, Ethernet card blinks (but my network does not see it). There is how ever no power to the keyboard and "No Signal" to the monitor. I tested the Monitor on another computer and it was fine (LCD). I tried putting in a PCI video card (doesn't have express) and nothing changed. So I don't know the answer. Mother Board?, Bios? Power supply (steady green light). The MB is a small footprint-form factor with onboard graphics. Vista is used. Software is pretty up-to-date. Have current Norton 360 which I have used forever. I don't see that HP sells MB's so what is a guy to do since like the old Radio Shack trash60 you can only use their parts?

Intern
Techgenius
Message 8 of 8 (1,599 Views)

Hi 

Can you test one more me. Remove the memory from its individual slots, Power on the machine.

Kindly post results , whether you hear beeps from the machine.

Thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation