Question

Teacher
Woodwood
Message 1 of 7 (480 Views)

Motherboard in Compaq Presarion S5160UK

Anyone !

I have a Compaq Presario S5150UK, purchased in January 2001 (so it's getting, and things are starting to go wrong, but it still works, some problems though).  HP have removed nearly all the useful information (if there ever was much) from their website, and so I have a few very specific questions.

First, what motherboard is in my machine ?  Please bear in ind this machine is likely to have been made in 2000, so information relating to machines made in 2003 later might not be relevant. I don't know. CPU-Z and others say it's a MSI MS-6577 030, but these come in different versions, from version 1 to version 4.1, with HP names such as Neon, Xenon 1,3 or 4, Gamila..etc. 

Second, what's the HP part number for this model of motherboard ?

Third, how can I find out the HP p/n for my m/b is ? Is it on the m/b somewhere ? Where would I look ?

Does anyone know where I can I can get a manual for it ? (I have a useful manual for the Xenon3 (HP p/n 5187-3470 and 5187-2141 ?? MS-6577v2.X whatever that means, does it include the v2.1 [Xenon4] ?).  Confusing number of HP part nos none of which I can find on the HP website....

So I'm completely stumped on this.  Can anyone help ?  (I'm thinking of replacng my m/b and upgrading processor and I'd like to what the detailed p/ns and specs to fhelp establish what might be compatible and do some pricing to decide whether to scrap  my system with consequent upheaval to my files & software, or buying completely new and starting the learning curve again, and ironing out all the faults I'm going to find in my files.  Basically, I'm starting some research)

Woodwood

4.August.2013

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 7 (467 Views)

Re: Motherboard in Compaq Presarion S5160UK

Your system is with Xenon4 motherboard. Here is the link with full details of the motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00019945&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Please let me know what other details you need in regard with this motherboard.

To my knowledge, there is not much difference between Xenon3 and Xenon4.

Socket 478 architecture

• Supports Intel Pentium 4 processor up to 3.06 GHz
  • Supports Intel Celeron processor up to 2.8 GHz
  • 400/533 MHz front side bus
  • Supports Intel Pentium 4 HT processors

Even I could not find any HP part number for the motherboard. Sorry.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Teacher
Woodwood
Message 3 of 7 (452 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for that information, Vidya.

If you established that my PC has the Xenon4 m/b by looking at the page http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00189654&jumpi...

I must point out again it is strictly only valid for machines "manufactured after 2003".  However, I appreciate that you may have access to other resources

I think I have the HP part number - Xenon4 m/b MSI MS-6577v2.1, HP p/n = 5187-3670.  Perhaps you could check that is the correct p/n.

I read that this m/b supports P4 processors to 3.06GHz with hyperthreading (HT).  The tanle on the above linked page says the m/b has the 845G chipset...as a matter of detail, does this mean precisely '845G' or can it (does it) mean 845GE, 845GL..or another letters ?

About the CPU heatsink fan: what is that p/n, and what is the spec for that fan ?  I suspect it's not working as it should and maybe I'd like to replace it.  I know that socket 478 coolers (fan + h/s) are available, but there's no problem with the h/s....what can go wrong with a lump of alumiium that has been sitting still for 10+ years ?  So I'd just like to replace the fan only (it's an AVC but they didn't even reply to my enquiry)

How would I find the p/n on the actual m/b, do you know ?

I think  that's it (for now)

Thanks again.

Woodwood

4.August.2013

Dean
Vidya
Message 4 of 7 (445 Views)

I am sure that your system is with Xenon4 motherboard. The chipset is Intel ® 845G/GE chipset

􀁨 Supports Socket 478 for Intel® P4 Williamette and Northwood processors.
􀁨 Supports 1.4GHz to 2.8GHz or higher speed.

The part number would be available on the motherboard. I am unable to find this information in any of the internal resources. I might try using my contacts later this week if possible.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 5 of 7 (439 Views)

Now might be the time to re-consider a newer machine. XP OS support ends on 04/08/2014. IMHO, the best solution is still Win 7, see the different versions here . Study the Win7 Professional or Ultimate versions. You might benefit from the XP compatibilty mode.

If you have heard about WIN8.1, then you might need to read more. It;s more of a fix than a solution.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-8-1-preview-final-verdict/

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-1-close-but-no-cigar-7000017733/

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Teacher
Woodwood
Message 6 of 7 (431 Views)

Vidya,

I am fairly certain that I have quoted the correct p/n, because searching the internet for S5150UK or Xenon4 as the main terms yields nothing useful, but once you've a clue as to the p/n, there are a fair few hits for people want to sell you one, and they attach (variously) the phrases 'Xenon4', 'MS-6577' and /or 'MS-6577 v2.1'

Your mentioning '845G/GE' is an example of the imprecision (I assume) I was referring to ...I presume there are two different versions of this chipset, '845G' and 845GE'; the m/b supports them both, but that doesn't tell me which one I have.  I think one chip is hidden under a heatsink so there's no chance of my reading the number on it (maybe I'm wrong and '845G/GE' is a unique part/chipset ?)

Woodwood

4.August.2013

Teacher
Woodwood
Message 7 of 7 (428 Views)

wb2001, I already use a computer that runs under Win 7 (64 bit home premium). It seems the same as XP to me, just differently laid out. I don't understand compatibility mode, it seems to be something one tries when something doesn't work. However, I've already installed a few of the same programs I use under XP and most of them run ok. I realise that support for XP is ending in April 2014. I don't know about Windows 8 at all: isn't releasing a new OS every few years a well known marketing ploy to boost sales ? I think I'll try to have a dual boot system (Unix derivative)l Linux may be old but there are applications for it, (maybe not as many as for Win) but it has stood the test of time. I realise that I probably won't even be to get an XP system for any new buy, and I don't have an XP OS alone because HP lead me into buying a preinstalled version which I'm lead to understand is not posssible to run on another machine.
Thank you pointing out some of options, and directing my reading. I didn't kow MS were bringing out Win 8.1
Woodwood
4.August.20`13
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation