Motherboard temperature (1296 Views)
Honor Student
mannublaze
Message 1 of 4 (1,296 Views)

Motherboard temperature

Compaq Presario 3020IL

Windows 7 x64

I would like to know the max temperature my motherboard can handle

I have seen it just touching 60 C under normal use, but goes up during high cpu usage

What is the max temperature limit for MS 7525 motherboard?

Distinguished Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 4 (1,249 Views)

Re: Motherboard temperature

While the motherboard may have an operating temperature sensor, there is usually not much concern for that.  The most important temperature is for the CPU (processor).  Several software applications can monitor the CPU temperature for you if that is what you desire.

1) http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

2) http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

3) http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
mannublaze
Message 3 of 4 (1,245 Views)

Yes the motherboard have a sensor and I am using speccy to view the temperatures, processor goes upto 58 C and I know this temperature is safe for processor. My major concern is motherboard as I dont know 60C+ is safe for my motherboard or not. I would realy appreciate if you know what are the temperature limits for the resp hardware

Tutor
thatguymark
Message 4 of 4 (1,188 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do you have an exhaust fan for the case? Maybe they don't do this anymore but I am amazed at how older machines have no fan, or even reflects the reverse logic of air flow - it should be intake from the bottom/front to higher/back. The vent in the back of most towers are clearly for an exhaust fan, it's close to the CPU so it'll help exhaust that heat. Not only do some machines not have one, sometimes that's turned into an intake by virtue of a shroud that goes to the CPU with the fan blowing down on top of the heatsink, (old HP Pavilion, unlike Dells that has an exhaust at the back but no fan directly on top of HS) and today I just found one (non-HP) that has a filter on it. A filter makes sense in the front for intake, not the back.

While I don't have technical info for you as far as motherboard temp, you can greatly reduce your case temperature (and therefore all component temps including CPU and board) by just spending a few dollars on an exhaust fan, if you don't already have one.

EDIT: I just looked up your system and it's basically the same era (sockeet 775, C2D) as the one with the filter which I worked on today. It really is the simplest thing to add a fan, and possibly correct some ridiculous installation that makes it even warmer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation