Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do you take apart an HP optical mouse? I've taken apart other ones, but this one has no visible screws on the bottom. They could be underneath some of the glide pads. Or the the top & bottom could just snap together. I don't want to start prying where I don't have to. Can anyone confirm how to take it apart?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
Mike, I don't believe that HP considers mice repair a DIY project. However, did you look in the battery compartment for screws? I have an older Logitech mouse and can't see any way to take it apart, either.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

There is no battery compartment, it is the wired mouse that came with the PC. The left button has to be pressed a little firmer or in just the correct spot in order to work. Instead of spending time calling HP to see about getting it warranteed I figured I'd just open it up & see if perhaps a switch just needs repositioning.

HP Recommended

I just cleaned mine and it is actually simple.  Turn the mouse over and look for a hole near where your palm sits when using the mouse.  It is a deep hole with a screw inside.  Use a very thin Phillip's head screwdriver to remove the screw.  The top then pops off easily. 

I suggest using isopropyl rubbing alcohol (it doesn't remove color and dries quickly), cotton swabs, needle nose pliers (for the fibers wound round the mouse wheel), and a wooden toothpick. 

The circuit board comes off easily so you can get the grime underneath.  Don't forget to clean the lens, too. 

HP Recommended

one small philips screw inside the battery case, remove the 3 pads on the bottom where there are 4 tiny philips screws and remove all the screws, only problem, there is nothing to clean or adjust just the finger pad pressing a tiny button on the  switch, I did shave a little off the finger pads and scraped a little off the switch buttons, but I don't think it helped.  Looks like I need a new mouse anyway.

HP Recommended

Hello this is for the mouse that comes with the new computer, straight out of the box. If you are looking at the optic (red light) side you will see 3 spots that are raised these are buffer stickers and underneath them are the screws there are 3 in all the first 2 are right were your fingers would rest on the left and right side of the mouse click buttons. the last one is under the the longer U or Smile Shaped sticker were the heel of your hand would sit naturally on the mouse. You will need a Small Philups Screw Driver (Glasses Screwdriver works fine) after that the case can come off if your cleaning the wheel the board and the wheel will have to come out a bit before being able to remove it.  Same for putting it back in the lager side of the wheels axle is for the 3rd button or Mouse Wheel Button and the thinner side goes into the green gear inside the wheel housing it fits like a puzzle so be gentle. Use rubbing alcohol to clean the buttons themselves and never touch the board with your fingers. Hope this helps you.

HP Recommended

i want to ask if how can i put back those sticker after i remove it?

p.s. i still didnt disassemble my mouse

HP Recommended

I had a similar HP Wireless mouse which has issues with the wheel detection. it used to jump when scrolling. Wanted to  open and clean in case of any dust. 

But stupid HP made the screws on the mouse odd type. none of the philips or + screw driver would fit. 

for some wierd reasons they made it with three way notch. hence common screw drivers would not work on it.

Finally i had to dispose of the mouse as useless. I went ahead and bought a logitech  mouse. 

HP Recommended
If u flip ur mouse over u will see the 2 padded grips, remove them and u will see the screws underneath!
HP Recommended

I don't find the 3rd screw. I'm french and I don't know 100% of the english vocabullary and what google traduction gives me for your answer isn't right. I don't understand the U or the sticker were the heel of your hand...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.