Question

Honor Student
nutellacrepe
Message 1 of 4 (541 Views)

My Graphic card doesn't work anymore, need assistance

[ Edited ]

Good evening,

I have a pavillion desktop with which I mainly game and go on the web with. After a year of perfection, 20 days past warranty the computer goes through a horrible chain of crashes. It started while going through the web, then ingame, then for a while I could not even load past my password without crashing. After a while I was finally able to access my desktop without the crash, and run the internet as well as a few other programs.

I thought it was over but it was not, my games weren't running. I go to device manager and see that my graphic card has a "!" sign on it's side. I try updating the card, no difference. I go to NVIDIA's website and download the latest update, restart the computer, no difference. I am confused on what to do now, with the  recession, money's getting low, I won't be able to afford another 9800GT that came with the computer.

If anyone could help out, i'd be very greatful. Thanks.

Top Student
ppk460
Message 2 of 4 (502 Views)

Re: My Graphic card doesn't work anymore, need assistance

Have you recently added another device or updated your drivers as the yellow ! mark normally means 2  devices may be clashing. If you think some of your device deivers etc may of be updated lately start the computer in safe mode (pressing F8 or startup and selecting safe mode) and once windows has loaded use the sysyem restore to restore the computer back to a date when you everything was running ok.

Honor Student
nutellacrepe
Message 3 of 4 (473 Views)

I went into safemode. There the card claims to be working fine, no "!" and everything in its property shows no problem. When out of safemode, the problem re-appears. This is the status in the card's properties:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

After going to device manager and uninstalling my video card, I restarted the computer. Upon restarting I could still run at 1440x900. An icon poped on the right saying it recognized and was installing this new driver (the card). After installing, i restarted the computer. Tried to launch a game but it failed.

Then downloaded the update for the card and ran it. I restarted after that and still no change.

I looked in Dxdiag and under driver everything is checked n/a.

What do I do?

Top Student
ppk460
Message 4 of 4 (457 Views)

Did you do the sysyem restore to a date when you knew everything was ok?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation