Re: My computer shuts down when overworked (4731 Views)
Top Student
bilbo
Message 1 of 11 (4,793 Views)

My computer shuts down when overworked

Hello, I have an HP s3137c that shuts down completely when I give it a task that it deems too much... I've chatted with HP support trying to solve this problem maybe 25/30 times, and they are no help anymore.

The problem started about a 12 months after purchase, 6 months ago. It has slowly been getting worse. I've tried all the normal cures, scan for viruses, malware, and spyware, all clean. Clean out the hard drive and reloaded windows. Clean and defrag the registry. Gone through all the HP clean steps.

The cooling fan seems to run at a high speed before shutdown. One thing that seemed to help was pulling out and reseating the memory. But it did not fix the problem, only made it harder to shut down, but it starts shutting down more often after a week or so.

Examples of shutting down might be: downloading a file while opening a program, while saving a file; Or converting a video file format while burning a disc; Or loading pictures off a camera, and syncing an ipod. 

Any help is appreciated...

Top Student
bilbo
Message 2 of 11 (4,819 Views)

Re: My computer shuts down when overworked

Hibernate is off, System Standby and Hard Drive are set to Never for shut down.

I've changed the Power Scheme to Always On

Provost
erico
Message 3 of 11 (4,805 Views)

What OS is installed?

Here is ahyperlink to the download software and drivers support page for your PC.   It sounds to me like a BIOS power management issue.  Update your BIOS to the latest version available. Even the firmware that is available for the XP OS relates to a power management issue.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Kenny_McCormick
Message 4 of 11 (4,800 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ahh, classic OEM power supply going out. This is a very common thing in the land of Overclocking, from which I hail.

What's going on is quite simple. The little Bestec that could simply can't anymore. You need a new power supply, simple as that. I'm not saying the bestec is a bad power supply. Much to the contrary, they're reliable little things...but yours is getting weak.

If you are up to replacing it yourself, this Antec should be plenty of power.

It's not difficult to change a PSU, but then again it will void HP's warranty, and it may be a bit challenging...you can also buy that PSU, then take it and your rig down to a professional computer shop and have them install it.

I can't believe tech support didn't realise it...it's painfully obvious. HP needs to employ more overclockers :smileytongue:

Also, for future reference, make sure you dust it out once a season or so. Too much dust will make it overheat, and this will cause power supplies to get weak, and sometimes outright fail. Sometimes, spactacularly!

Message Edited by Kenny_McCormick on 02-18-2009 11:00 AM
I'm just a random guy that likes tweaking computers.......and overclocking them. :smileyvery-happy:
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 5 of 11 (4,788 Views)

The Antec 350 Smart Power also exhibited similar behavior.  Eventually, the system will no longer boot.  The bad boy was the PSU.  The Smart Power line gave Antec a black eye. 

That recommended 380 Earthwatts is very very good (Seasonic built).  My only complain is the small 80mm fan.  The Corsair 400 was $40 yesterday and comes with a 120mm fan to evacuate more heat from the case.  You can't go wrong with either unit!

Only problem is that many overclockers don't have a certificate of blah, blah, blah to get on HP's payroll.  I used to work at a rocket engine factory.  The engineer of the year didn't have a college degree. 

Today, it's the paper shufflers who get the big bucks.  How to leverage something by a factor of 50!   

Top Student
bilbo
Message 6 of 11 (4,773 Views)

I am running Vista home. I have updated the Bios already.

Kenny and Royal I think you might be on to something here. I have changed out the PS before on another computer. They don't cost too much, so I just might give that a try and let you know...

Top Student
bilbo
Message 7 of 11 (4,766 Views)

My case is a slimline tower. It is 2/3 as wide as a standard tower. The PS's you recommended will not fit. Any ideas for a resonably priced PS that might fit?

Top Student
Kenny_McCormick
Message 8 of 11 (4,760 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's going to pose a problem if your case doesn't support an ATX compliant PSU.

You may have to settle with ordering another one from HP every time this one goes, and perhaps considering upgrading your case too.

Royal Serpent: I had a SmartPower 450. It ran great, even overdrawn, for about a year.

Then, it showered sparks down onto my beloved X1900XT. :\

Message Edited by Kenny_McCormick on 02-18-2009 03:17 PM
I'm just a random guy that likes tweaking computers.......and overclocking them. :smileyvery-happy:
Teacher
dago517
Message 9 of 11 (4,731 Views)

If a new power supply doesn't fix it replace the thermal paste. Might do this first for about $7.00 (US).
Top Student
bilbo
Message 10 of 11 (4,729 Views)

Are you talking about reappyling the heatsink onto the cpu?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation