Question

Tutor
BroKen_Harrison
Message 1 of 7 (957 Views)
Accepted Solution

My h8-1214 is EXTREMELY slow. Hard drive seems to be culprit. Installing SSD?

How do you go about installing a faster hard drive than the stock 5600 rpm drive on this machine?  It is SO SLOW to boot and loading Sims 3 takes 30 minutes.  My last machine (4 year old HP) was actually FASTER than this new machine. (as is my 5 year old laptop (H7) and my wife's 3 year old Pavilion HPE 2101).    Windows Performance Index shows 7.3-7.5-7.4-7.4-5.9 (the hard drive)...Obviously I can't replace the primary drive since it is the boot drive and contains the restore information, but can I install another (faster) drive and install games and data to load thereon?  I upgraded the video card (obviously) with the appropriate 700 watt power supply and got it's score up, but need help with this.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 7 (947 Views)

Re: My h8-1214 is EXTREMELY slow. Hard drive seems to be culprit. Installing SSD?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please tells us how much time it takes to boot up your PC?

Actually, the Windows performance index is quite good for the hard drive that you have in your PC.

The hard drive RPMs is only one factor in performance.  The linear bit density ( track capacity) is a big factor. Basically, how much data can be transferred in one revolution. Recheck the speed of the hard drive.  I don't think HP configures the HPE model with a 5600 RPM hard drive. Perhaps you meant 5400 RPM.

The cabinet for your PC can contain up to three hard drives.  The motherboard in your PC has SATA III ports so adding a SATA III SSD will greatly improve performance.  I am using the OCZ Vertex III and the Windows performance index is 7.9. 

Check the SIMS web site for performance suggestions.  Depending on how many extras you add to SIMS, it can turn into a real hog.

Did your PC boot slow when you first purchased it?  Please quantify by what is slow to you?

What do you want to do?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
BroKen_Harrison
Message 3 of 7 (931 Views)

Re: My h8-1214 is EXTREMELY slow. Hard drive seems to be culprit. Installing SSD?

Times for my machine:  Boot to startup sound (3:02)  To first usage (4:37) To actually load WMP at startup (5:34)

Wife's 3 year old HPE210f     to startup sound (0:57) To first usage (2:15) To actually load WMP at startup (2:54)

It is not my imagination that the system boots slow, if a Quad core 935 with lesser graphics card can boot to a useable program in about 1/2 the time.

This is slightly slower than when first purchased as I have added iolo system mechanic and memeo autosync (which are both on wife's machine as well).

OK, so you ask what is slow to me, there are my numbers.  You ask if it booted slowly from the box, yes.  You ask what I want to do.  Well, that's a little more complicated.  What I WANT is for my new hex core machine to outperform a 3 year old quad core.  I believe that this $1100 machine should outperform the machine we bought for $900 three years ago, hands down.  It doesn't.  Even after i added a superior graphics card, my wife's gaming performance is better.  Regardless of the slowdown, or the bottleneck, this system is inferior to a less expensive, older machine.  This isn't about me needing to have a faster machine than my wife, we trade off getting the new machine each time we buy a new one, so next new machine is hers...but my point stands.  Newer plus more expensive should not equal less capable.  Especially when both are HP machines. HP should stand behind their machines.

Failing that, the next step is to spend MORE money on an SSD to get this machine to perform where it SHOULD out of the box.  This is unfair, and may not even work.  I would love to have the SSD be the boot drive, but I don't know how to get 7 from their slow (5400 rpm) drive to the SSD.  I can however put the SSD in as a data drive and install all my software to that drive.  This will not resolve the problem with the slow boot, but should at least improve gaming performance.

So, bottom line.  1st option:  I need to kill the bottleneck in the bootup and gaming performance (which inevitably falls on the hard drive as the light stays on constant for about 8 minutes at bootup).  Possibly BIOS tweak, or updated drivers for the System (possibly having some conflict or timing issues)

2nd option:  I need to install an SSD as my primary drive.  Which means I need to know how to transfer 7 from their primary drive to the new and then make the slow drive a data drive for storing mp3s and photos on (transfer rates are probably too slow for video).

3rd option: I need to install an SSD as a data drive, which I will need no help with, but does not resolve the slow boot times.

Thanks for your help!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 7 (922 Views)

Hi,

Remove any hardware and software changes made to your PC since the day it was new and see if the improves your boot up times.  If that doesn't improve your situation then it's time to run hardware diagnostics to see if you are having issues.  If your PC passes the hardware diagnostics then try the below suggestion.

Backup your data to external media.  Did you burn a set of the HP recovery disk? If not, do so now. Now use the HP Recovery process to bring your PC back to a factory fresh day one condition. Now time your boot up to Windows. Forty-five seconds or less is OK but you should be close to 30 seconds.  I suspect the issue is not the hard drive unless it's faulty.

Actually, a 5400 RPM drive can be faster than a 7200 RPM drive depending on the linear track density and the number of tracks per cylinder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Tutor
BroKen_Harrison
Message 5 of 7 (867 Views)

Dave, why is it the only answer is to go back to day one?  All my installs, updates, software and associated updates go away just to prove that my system is slower than it should be?  It boots slower than a three year old lesser machine that uses the same software...So I completely wipe out everything I've done to date (except the data).  I also like the wording that goes your score is actually fast FOR THAT TYPE OF DRIVE...So why install that type of drive in an otherwise fast machine?  When I get enough time, I'll take everything back out, reinstall the original vid card and see how fast it boots, but I had problems with how slow it was from the start (why I added the new video card.)  Do I need to put the old power supply back in as well, or will the new one be OK...yes, I'm a little upset and being cranky.  I know you're just trying to help me, but I'm so tired of starting over on machines that should work out of the box.  I'm going on 8 months without being able to use my studio because of this system and the one before it.  It's very frustrating.  This is not my only issue with this machine.  I bought this one because my last hex AMD had major sound issues, and this one is having that, too (different thread).  I'm starting to think that hex AMDs are not made for being quiet...

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 7 (846 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please read my suggestions that I provided above.  Going back to square one was suggested only after you had removed the other possible issues.  You can do that systematically, removing one thing at a time.  You might even have more than one issue so removing one at a time will help you with the discovery process until you find all of the issues and correct them. Then return to reinstalling software and hardware slowly and see if you discover yet another issue. 

You need to establish a boot up based line so that you know what to expect from this PC for boot up times. Out of the box and configured without software and hardware additions I would expect boot times between 25-45 seconds.  Is 25-45 seconds for boot up about what you experienced when you first started using your PC?

A bigger power supply and a better video card is not going to speed up the time it takes to boot up your PC.  In fact, a  video card may slightly slow down the boot up time.

Boot up to the safe mode (F8) screen just after the HP splash screen and stop.  How long did that take? 5-10 seconds?   Now select safe mode and boot up.  How long did that take?

Try this Microsoft MrFixIt solutionAlso read this AMD posted information.

Tutor
BroKen_Harrison
Message 7 of 7 (796 Views)

Okay, I talked to my brother (MS Certified tech with about three computer degrees) and he walked me through some tweaks.  It turned out the USB boot whatever was the culprit.  Disabling it dropped my boot time under a minute as the machine sits.  So glad I called him first before undoing everything.  Should have called him before posting here, obviously.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation