Question

Honor Student
N7OEP
Message 1 of 9 (7,989 Views)

My hard drive is failing. Can I copy the factory image onto a new drive? How is this done?

Teacher
Andrew_P
Message 2 of 9 (7,962 Views)

Re: My hard drive is failing. Can I copy the factory image onto a new drive? How is this done?

Hi..

Your message seems to be blank.. U can copy factry image on to new drive using Recovery disc.. If you does not have , u can get one from HP for the computer...

Click on the Kudos sign on left to  say Thanks...

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 3 of 9 (7,961 Views)

Re: My hard drive is failing. Can I copy the factory image onto a new drive? How is this done?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

If you are using Windows 7 then review the below article.  It's another alternative.

Review this article on how to use Windows 7 to create backups and a backup image.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
N7OEP
Message 4 of 9 (7,952 Views)

Sorry about the first post. I didn't see the message window and thought the question box was the only space to type my problem in. OK, here is a little more info:

I have an HP Pavilion with Windows Vista Home Premium 64. I have an external hard drive for making back-ups to. Is there a way to transfer the whole internal hard drive's contents to the external drive, then replace the internal drive, then transfer everything back to the internal drive?

I did not receive any discs when I bought the computer new from HP online store. I know the hard drive has a section for restoring everything to factory original. If I repalce the hard drive, will the computer be able to start and get the latest back up from the external drive to put my computer back to normal?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 9 (7,946 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

A disk imaging product like Acronis or Paragon Hard Disk Managment Suite will image copy your hard drive to external media.  You will also need to make a Acronis or Paragon boot CD. Once these tasks are done then remove your old hard drive and install the new hard drive. Now boot up the recovery CD and image recover your old hard drive from the external media to your new hard drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Teacher
Andrew_P
Message 6 of 9 (7,932 Views)

You can contact HP chat and ask for this disc. If computer will be in software warranty , they wil ship u free disc , and if your computer does not have warranty , ask them to provide you link to places the order for recovery disc ,,,  Ask them for Recovery disc ,.,,,  I have worked for HP , they will surely help you .,. Go for 5 to 7 ground shipment.. U will save allot $

Click on Kudos sign on left to say Thanks...

Intern
lbfong
Message 7 of 9 (7,907 Views)

HP computers don't come with a set of recovery disks, but there is software on your computer to make ONE set.  The disks are created from the data on the recovery partition D:  To create a set of recovery disks go to:

All Programs>PC Help & Tools and launch "Recovery Disk Creation" and follow the prompts.

Although I haven't replaced a system hard drive with the recovery disks, I believe the procedure is :

1. Create a set of recovery disks

2. Replace your system hard drive

3. Turn on the computer and hold down F11 to go into recovery mode

4. Follow the prompts to prepare and restore the hard drive to factory state.

Don't do anything to your original hard drive in case you run into problems and need to reconnect it to get your computer back up.

Somebody feel free to chime in if corrections are needed.

Honor Student
N7OEP
Message 8 of 9 (7,898 Views)

I feel a little dumb. I just looked and realized I made a set of recovery discs when I first set up my computer. I had forgotten all about it, but I have them, so I guess I am set for a hard drive replacement now. Thanks everyone for your help and comments. I will let you all know how it goes in a couple of days when I get a chance to buy a new hard drive.

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 9 (7,895 Views)

[ Edited ]

lbfong wrote:

Although I haven't replaced a system hard drive with the recovery disks, I believe the procedure is :

1. Create a set of recovery disks

2. Replace your system hard drive

3. Turn on the computer and hold down F11 to go into recovery mode

4. Follow the prompts to prepare and restore the hard drive to factory state.

Don't do anything to your original hard drive in case you run into problems and need to reconnect it to get your computer back up.

Somebody feel free to chime in if corrections are needed.

When booting with Recovery Disks- you don't tap F11.That is only for launching recovery from the recovery partition on hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation