Question

Top Student
trustnone
Message 1 of 9 (1,020 Views)
Accepted Solution

My old computer died and I want to save filed from my old Hard drive to my new computer

Hi,

My old computer died, and I have purcassed a new computer an HP p6230y. I have installed my old Hard Drive in to the new computer as a second HD in the 2nd Hard drive bay. I would like to transfer my files from the old HD to the new HD. I would like to then format the old HD and use it internally as a second HD. After installing the Hard Drive I cannot seem to find the (old HD) on my computer. I can see that the old HD has successfully been installed by running a diagnostic of the drive. It all checks out OK. I am unable to access the old HD in any way other than the diagnosic, and when I boot up the computer I can see that a second HD is installed. What am I doing wrong?? And what can I do to access the info on the old HD, and then use it as a second HD in my new computer? Am I missing some step in the set-up/ install? Help.

Top Student
hondabob
Message 2 of 9 (1,018 Views)

Re: My old computer died and I want to save filed from my old Hard drive to my new computer

DID YOU SET UP THE OLD DRIVE AAS A SLAVE BY REPOSIONING THE PINS IN THE DRIVE. CHECK YOUR MANAUL IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW. IF THE DRIVE IS BAD YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE FILES.
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 3 of 9 (998 Views)

Re: My old computer died and I want to save filed from my old Hard drive to my new computer

What type of 'old' HDD is it? And how is it showing up under Disk Management?
Top Student
trustnone
Message 4 of 9 (992 Views)

If I understand you when I boot up the computer the first screen displays drive 2 (CD-DVD)/ Drive 1 750G RAID READY Functional (New HD)/ Drive 3 250G Single Disc 03 (Old HD). And to answer you second question the old HD is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA. There are only (4) four pins on the back end of the old and new Hard Drives, not the usual (8) eight pins. I was finally able to see a copy of the HD manual from Seagate to see if there were any jumper positions and there are only (4) pins labled (Factory use only). Please forgive my ignorance. I hope this helps.
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 5 of 9 (987 Views)

This is a SATA setup, don;t worry about the jumpers. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/ComputerManagement/Disk Management and tell us what is showing up for the old 250G Seagate in the partition info and whether it has any drive letter assigned?
Top Student
trustnone
Message 6 of 9 (979 Views)

There is no Drive Letter for the 250G Old HD. There is an Information symbol by this drive which states That it "Off line because it has a Signature collision with another disc that is online".
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 7 of 9 (974 Views)

OK, go back into the Disk Management, mouse over the offline old HDD, then  right click on "offline" and get the option to place the disk "online". A left click should then solved the problem.
Top Student
trustnone
Message 8 of 9 (966 Views)

Thank you so very much. My knowledge of windows 7 is very limited. You helped to save all my files on my computer. Thank you again.
Grad Student
sclui56
Message 9 of 9 (957 Views)

Glad it solved your issue, here is another situation - http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2009/09/signatures_in_collision_bringing_back_a_120gb.html
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation