Question

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 1 of 10 (2,922 Views)

Need Modem commands and software to send them

Hi, 

I have an HP Pavillion a1730n PC that came with a PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP and CXT drivers. Because of problems with my ISP software, when I am disconnected (frequently) from the Internet the Modem often does not get disconnected so when I try to reconnect using my ISP software it will not reconnect because it thinks something else is using the modem. To reconnect to the internet I have to completely restart my computer to get the Modem to reinitialize. I would like to manually send the disconnect and initialization commands to the Modem so I do not have to restart the whole system everytime and close everything I have open. I would think that they are standard AT commands, can someone provide the commands to do this for this modem?

Also, there used to be a program called hyperterminal that could be used for sending commands to the modem but it no longer comes with the Microsoft OS (I have Vista 32bit) so how do I manually send the commands to disconnect and reinitialize the Modem? There is an option under 'Phone and Modem Options' [it is also under the 'Advanced' tab in Modem properties] to add extra initialization commands but I believe that it will only send those extra commands when the Modem is first being initialized and not for manually sending commands anytime(?). If 'Phone and Modem Options' will not send the command anytime then does anyone know of a readibly avaliable program that will send them, preferrably freeware. Thanks

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 10 (2,921 Views)

Re: Need Modem commands and software to send them

How about going into Control Panel, Network and Internet, Manage network connections on the top left and rightclick on the dialup device and send a shortcut on your desktop and everytime you wanna disconnect it just rightclick it and choose Disconnect or Connect when needed.

I never tried it but I think this should work somehow.

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 3 of 10 (2,914 Views)

[ Edited ]
Thanks a lot, that seems logical and should work. I'll let you know.
Message Edited by gkdiamond on 05-07-2009 06:21 PM
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 10 (2,880 Views)

Try sending commands to your modem from a command line. Here is a link to the commands. You can try these free modem utilities. I am not certain they will work in Vista.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 5 of 10 (2,859 Views)

Thanks for the links Erico I may need them. I'm hoping that the Network Disconnect will work, that will really make it easy. I haven't gotten a chance to try yet. Some times the problem happens several times in a week and even several times in a day but of course now that I want to try something it will not happen.
Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 6 of 10 (2,711 Views)

The Manage network connections connect/disconnect will not work for me but neither will sending commands to the modem. It appears that the modem is actually disconnected and it's the ISP software that's confused.
Provost
erico
Message 7 of 10 (2,709 Views)

Go into Device  Manager to verify that the device is shown as recognized by Windows and that a valid driver is actually loaded.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 8 of 10 (2,692 Views)

The modem shows up in Device Manager and has a valid driver. The modem and driver came installed in the computer and its' software and driver have been updated several times from both HP and Microsoft.

I'm sure it's the ISP software and I'm not surprised. Their software has had lots of bugs and it has taken them several years to work most of them out. On the good side this problem has happened only once since I originally posted the problem which is better than the several times in one day I was experiencing.

Provost
erico
Message 9 of 10 (2,723 Views)

Here are some alternatives to Hyperterminal that are claimed to work in Vista.

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 10 of 10 (2,642 Views)

I already found that page but thanks a lot. As I said it's my ISP software, yesterday even after I disconnected my modem with the "Connect To A Network" option my ISP software still told me my modem was in use by something else when I told it to reconnect to the Internet. Kudos for trying though!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation