Question

Student
starfish51
Message 1 of 4 (3,499 Views)

Need driver upate from Nvidia for Chipset MCP61 to allow 1.5TB Seagate SATA drive

[ Edited ]

SOLVED see update at bottom!

----

I am trying to add a 1.5TB SATA drive to my Pavilion m8200n w Nvidia motherboard chipset MCP61  (I think Nvidia refers to this chipset as nForce 4xx.  think its 430, 405, or 400)

Seagate says some Nvidia chipsets need latest driver to handle SATA hard drives over 1 TB. My formatting routines stop at 73% or 1011 MB or about 1TB.

So I probably need an updated driver. HP site does not offer it for my model PC.

Nvidia provides updates for the nForce 4xx series by model number, but does not reference chipset numbers (which is the only ID I have.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us    see Option 1, legacy models, nForce 4xx  .... but then what

Anybody know which driver I need or what model nForce relates to chipset MCP61  (restated, I dont know the model for my nVidia chipset)

I am afraid of installing wrong driver for this chipset.

Any ideas?

-----

I SOLVED THIS MYSELF.

-Yes it recognized the 1.5TB after the driver update from nVidia.  SO IT DOES HELP TO DO DRIVER UPDATE!!!

-I found the proper Nvidia model number on HP's spec sheet for my model. thought of that right after I hit send.

Thanks and good luck

Message Edited by starfish51 on 08-05-2009 03:47 PM
Honor Student
ke8yn
Message 2 of 4 (3,041 Views)

Re: Need driver upate from Nvidia for Chipset MCP61 to allow 1.5TB Seagate SATA drive

I have a similar issue.  I have the 500 GB as my main drive and added a second drive.  At first I used a second 500 GB but it acted flaky and I suspected the disk, replacing it with a 1.0 TB.  It will run for a while, then freeze until I disconnect the second drive. Looking around I have seen a BIOS upgrade not availaible through HP.  A 3rd party vendor provided it on a chip, but I haven't decided to cut and solder the motherboard.  BOttom line:

1. Any tips on running a second HD?

2. Any word on a BIOS upgrade?

3. Any word on Windows 7 64 bit drivers?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), 8 gb RAM.  Onboard video was flaky so I added Radeon X1300 video card.

Thanks, all.

Intern
Intern
wl
Message 3 of 4 (3,038 Views)

Re: Need driver upate from Nvidia for Chipset MCP61 to allow 1.5TB Seagate SATA drive

A belated questioin? Did you try the detection link on NVidia's download drivers site? It found mine just fine without relying on any product literature. It actually determined that I had the wrong chipset installed. I learned to trust it for accuracy.

Honor Student
ke8yn
Message 4 of 4 (3,036 Views)

I did try the auto detect and it said I had no nVidia installed.  I am using an additional graphics card, which may cause confusion.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation