Question

WGS Honor Student
Honor Student
WGS
Message 1 of 4 (2,302 Views)

New Computer - Old Printer

I  have been using an HP Deskjet 520 printer with my previous computer.  I recently bought an HP Pavilion PC p6313w-b computer.

The cable from my old printer to the old computer obviously is not something that will plug into my new computer.

Is it possibe to continue using the old printer with the new computer?  What do I need to do?

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (2,295 Views)

Re: New Computer - Old Printer

[ Edited ]

Hi,

WGS wrote:

I  have been using an HP Deskjet 520 printer with my previous computer.  I recently bought an HP Pavilion PC p6313w-b computer.

The cable from my old printer to the old computer obviously is not something that will plug into my new computer.

Is it possibe to continue using the old printer with the new computer?  What do I need to do?

Which interface cable for the printer were you using? (parallel or serial)

this is a serial port

serial_port.jpg

With your new PC you will need to purchase  a PCI adapter interface card for the type interface you wish.

Which Operating System is in your new PC?

This is a parallel port

cbscon_PC_ParallelPort.jpgBest regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

WGS Honor Student
Honor Student
WGS
Message 3 of 4 (2,289 Views)

It is definitely a "parallel port", and my new computer uses Windows 7.  Thanks, so far, for your help.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (2,264 Views)

Hi,

In order to successfully interface the printer with your PC's OS, you will need to install a PCI Parallel port card in an unused PCI slot in your PC.

Here is a link to some at NewEgg.com. You might want to take a look at the results of a Google search I did with PCI parallel port Windows 7 as keywords.

Considering the price of the cards and the relatively few that are compatible with Windows 7, you might  want to consider upgrading to a different printer with a USB and/or wireless interface. I am mentioning that as the law of diminishing returns is taking effect with regard to your rusty old HP printer. I have one of the old beasts around but no longer use it.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation