Question

Intern
SoundSeven
Message 1 of 10 (3,758 Views)
Accepted Solution

Nividia graphics card killing my audio

[ Edited ]

Hi -- I have a Nividia GeForce 405 grapics card on my PC that is causing very high DPC latency while recording and mixing music in Cubase recording software. The latency is causing audio dropouts that make recording impossible at this point.

Running the LatencyMon 3.0 latency test, the Nividia card is identified as the main culprit under nvlddmkm.sys. I get more that 18,000 microseconds execution time while running wav files in Cubase. I get huge red spikes in DPC Latency Checker too.

What would happen if I disable the Nividia card in Device Manger? Would my screen go blank? Would another Windows graphics driver take over that would give me an acceptable monitor even if the graphics aren't that good? I don't care much about graphics/color/visual experience ... just want to be able to use my audio recording software.

Should I just buy a different graphics card and install that?

I'm on a HPE 510t, i7 2600 6GB DDR3, 2xSATA 7200 rpm, Win 7 64bit Home Premium.

Thanks for any help you can give.

LateMon1.png

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 10 (3,725 Views)

Re: Nividia graphics card killing my audio

SoundSeven wrote:

Hi -- I have a Nividia GeForce 405 grapics card on my PC that is causing very high DPC latency while recording and mixing music in Cubase recording software. The latency is causing audio dropouts that make recording impossible at this point.

Running the LatencyMon 3.0 latency test, the Nividia card is identified as the main culprit under nvlddmkm.sys. I get more that 18,000 microseconds execution time while running wav files in Cubase. I get huge red spikes in DPC Latency Checker too.

What would happen if I disable the Nividia card in Device Manger? If your display is connected to the card you would lose your Windows Desktop Would my screen go blank? If you have a single monitor setup it would  Would another Windows graphics driver take over that would give me an acceptable monitor even if the graphics aren't that good? See the following response I don't care much about graphics/color/visual experience ... just want to be able to use my audio recording software.

Should I just buy a different graphics card and install that? If video quality is not so important, simply uninstall the video card and connect your display to the appropriate ( #4 DVI or #5 HDMI) port on the I/O backplane of the motherboard (at the rear of your PC). The integrated video solution on the motherboard is enabled when the video card is removed. Restart your PC and Windows will install a generic driver for the Intel integrated video on the motherboard. 

I'm on a HPE 510t, i7 2600 6GB DDR3, 2xSATA 7200 rpm, Win 7 64bit Home Premium.

Thanks for any help you can give.

LateMon1.png

I did not see your image as it has not been approved by a Mod yet. 

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
SoundSeven
Message 3 of 10 (3,716 Views)

Thanks erico, that sounds like the way I'll go.

Do I need to uninstall the Nividia drivers after I remove the graphics card?

Really appreciate your help!

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 10 (3,707 Views)

Uninstall the Nvidia driver, shut down and remove the card.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Intern
SoundSeven
Message 5 of 10 (3,700 Views)

Thanks CherylG. There are 3 Nividia drivers for Graphics, Vision and Audio -- plus PhysX System Software. Do I remove all these, then shut down?

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 10 (3,694 Views)

Those are all listed under Programs & Features in Control Panel? I have the same video card in my machine and it doesn't list all of those. It only has Nvidia Graphics Driver 268.45, but I did update the graphics driver-maybe it removed all of those. My card does work better since I updated driver.I was getting  occasional screen glitches and reports of driver crashing before updating. Maybe you should try updating the driver before deciding to remove the card?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Intern
SoundSeven
Message 7 of 10 (3,688 Views)

Cheryl;

Yes, they are all listed in Programs & Features. I haven't updated the drivers since I received the PC in May -- good idea to update first. I'll update and see if the update removes the others in the Control Panel and check the performance of the card before removing it. I was worried that if I uninstall the drivers the PC screen would immediately go blank and I wouldn't be able to see anything to turn off the PC before uninstalling the card.

I'll post again after doing the Nividia update.

Thanks!

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 10 (3,675 Views)

[ Edited ]

I let Windows Update install the driver for mine, but you can get a driver directly from Nvidia site.Worth a try before giving up on the card:

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/38916

Btw, uninstalling the graphics driver won't cause the screen to go blank. Much of the time a driver removal will ask if you want to restart to complete the uninstall, and even if it doesn't the card will simply use a standard vga driver until you remove the card.

Intern
SoundSeven
Message 9 of 10 (3,667 Views)

Wow -- I updated the Nvidia driver at your link and problem gone! LatencyMon shows Nvidia still at the top of the list for DPCs, but execution time for them went from 18ms with the old driver to 0.6ms with the new one -- good enough for now.

I guess this shows to attend to your updates.

My old driver was version 268.45 and the new one I installed is 285.62. I don't see this on the HP updates page for my HPE 510t.

BTW CherylG, I do have 4 Nvidia drivers listed for my 405 card, screen shot attached. Even the update installed these.

Thanks so much for your help CherylG and Erico!

Nvidia Apps.png

Student
REXSOAR
Message 10 of 10 (2,201 Views)

Yea Myself also but I Paid for the GT-8500!?  cannot sync with bluetooth drivers with realtech hidefination speakers.  Running 16 core HP m9200z CTO with 5 gigs of RAM.  Its a true mutitasking machine.  What ya think of reducing to 14 core & a Core Duo to Run sys 32 put abut 2 gig more dedicated ram for it.  You Can Really Do a lot With AMD and the Right Mother board and chipsets&controllers I might see if I can share the Gig bus between them?    But the original system, sucked..... & I miss Hearing my Bose speaker system because Constant Bluetooth Failures to Keep its Dual Radios installed set to stay.

REXES

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation