Question

Top Student
ZombieFlu
Message 1 of 7 (721 Views)

No Signal after graphics card & power cell upgrade.

The graphics card on my PC siezed recently, but I've been having some difficulty getting any new cards to work.

I have an HPE H9-1130 currently running the Radeon 7670 series card. 

I have tried 2 different cards both resulting in the same issue.  One installed, there is no signal going to any monitor I try to use.

First I tried a Radeon 7770 and there was no signal.  I have tried most every recomendation I could find.  Resetting CMOS, uninstalling drivers, cleaning, I also replaced the power cell on the advise of the repair tech at Fry's being that the preinstalled power cells I guess don't provide the output Amps required for most every newer graphics card.

So I returned the ASUS 7770 and bought a DL HD7790 and a Thermalake 650 power cell.

After installing the power cell and the graphics, after doing all the normal uninstalling again of the previous one, again no signal.  I replaced the original card and everything worked just fine.  I reinstalled the original drivers and programs and reconnected both my monitors and everything was fine, except my graphics card won't last many more days.  Currently it's hitting 118* C!!!  The plastic has cracked in one spot and my system has been shutting down, which is whart started this mission.

Long story short, I have switched between the new card (7790) and the preinstalled one (7670) and there has been nothing I can do to get the new card to work.

I have all the connectin on the power cell nessesary and everything else works just fine (when the old card is installed that is).  I have the most current bios available and have also removed the CMOS for a very long time to get as much of a clear reset as can be.  I have adjusted the BIOS to ignore UEFI and boot from the Legacy drives as one person posted, claiming the incompatibility with HP BIOS and UEFI on these overclocked cards.

There is no onboard video with this PC and no second PCI slot to have 2 cards running.  I really don't even know if windows is even booting when the new card is installed.

However, now it seems that whenever I try to reinstall the original graphics card driver my PC updates from windows, reboots and is now just sitting at the "Starting Windows" screen.

So now I have the 7670 back in with the new power cell, I switched the BIOS back to the way it orignally was before any card swapping started, and I'll try a system restore and grab the drivers off the support area of their website to see if that will help it at least get back into working order.

Here's some specs:

Windows 7 Home Pre.

AMD FX 8120 3.1 GHz 8 Core

16G

Monitor One connected with Display port (DVI, DisplayPort, VGA, HDMI capable)

Monitor Two connected with DVI (VGA, DVI capable) 

AMD Radeon 7670 

Thermalake 650 Power replaced an HP 600W

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 7 (704 Views)

Re: No Signal after graphics card & power cell upgrade.

The 7790 only requires 20W more than the 7670 card.  What is the exact model of the Thermaltake unit?

Between various models there is a wide disparity in actual 12V wattage. What are the specs on your HP PSU?

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Top Student
ZombieFlu
Message 3 of 7 (694 Views)

The HP is a 600w with a range of 10 to 18A for 12V a-d. 

The Thermaltake smart 650 I believe. I bought it because it listed 52A at 12V.  After the Fry's tech said I needed at least 25A it was the only one I could find. 

Also, and possibly unrelated, but now I cannot get the old driver for the graphics card to install without BSOD.  However I think the BSOD might be triggered from my mouse software.

Fun fun. 

Top Student
ZombieFlu
Message 4 of 7 (682 Views)

Just an update... I'm not sure if it's BIOS related or some issue with a piece of new hardware that has/was installed because now I'm unable to get the orignal driver reinstalled.  System restore is getting me at every turn.  

Should I just try to find the same card and return this nice little upgrade?

This PC is starting to lose the love I once had and is beginning to push itself into being sold.  Sad, I loved my HP but if it's something with the MB or the BIOS preventing these types of upgrades I won't be shy to get whatever money out of a quick sell that I can.

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 5 of 7 (664 Views)

You will need to get back to a stable platform, with the old video card. Can you download the driver package for that card, and install it?

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Top Student
ZombieFlu
Message 6 of 7 (661 Views)

Well as of last night everything is back to normal with them original graphics card and then new PSU. So this puts me back to the point of needing to get anew card asap. My current card is running around 118*C still so still i need to fix this issue.
Top Student
ZombieFlu
Message 7 of 7 (647 Views)

So I tried one last time to repeat the logical installion for the newer graphics cards and still no signal.  I did notice that the illumination on both my keyboard, mouse, and G13 (which are plugged in to the rear USB ports) did not turn on.  Also I'm pretty sure the computer isn't actually booting up.  The HD is on, but I don't hear any activity going on and the activity lights on the front don't seem to be showing anything.  I don't have anything in the front, and I have an external HD plugged into the top 3.0's (which was not plugged in during all the swapping and what-not.  Kept it minimal [Keyboard, mouse and monitor]).

As much as it pains me, I think I'm most likely going to take this card back and try a DDR3 card.  Perhaps that may resolve this.  As long as I'm not running anything that required the GPU my PC will survive.  I do admit a bit of dissapointment at the lack of potential I was hoping this PC would have.  Seems this issue has happened to various HP HPE H-9's over a few years, bleeding into Windows 8.  

If all else fails, the 7670 isn't the worst card out there, a straight replacment for another would be tolerable and eventually this computer will be retired for a custom one.  At this point, the only way to keep this one good for another year would be to replace the motherboard.  

I'm pretty sure HP's "Angelica" MB's are their own creation in effort to save expense, which on their other models is fine.  Using these unfamiliar boards in "Gaming" class PC's was an error on my part for not being more skeptical.  Tride and True MB's like ASUS are like a good pair of running shoes.  I got the Pay-Less brand.

Good effort HP, but I need a pair of shoes I can run off the track and go into the woods with if I ever felt the need.

I'm hoping someone will help, at this point I'm returning everything to Fry's and just excepting the loss.  I'd be willing to try any recomendation you guys might have.  

Be well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation