Question

Tutor
philipdscr
Message 1 of 11 (2,641 Views)
Accepted Solution

No Video Signal After Replacing Graphics Card & Power Supply

I have an HP Pavillion m9515y desktop PC. The graphics card that came with it (NVidia GeForce 9600 GS, 768 MB) was right at the minimum spec required by a game I have been playing. Things in the game were very sluggish - I was seeing a ~0.5 s delay to moving my mouse on the startup screen for the game.

Today I bought a new graphics card (NVidia Geforce GTX 550Ti, 1 GB) and a Corsair 700W power supply to replace the 350W one that came with the system.

Right off the bat I screwed something up. It has been a while since I opened up the case and I mistakenly thought that the top panel (with the rubber surface) needed to come off before the side panel could be removed. I removed the two screws holding the top panel in place and slid it off and in the process it disconnected two thin black wires whose function I do not know. One was attached near the power button and one was attached to the back of that panel. The wires have stripped ends rather than a connector of some sort and I am not sure how they connect back or if they are causing the problem I am now seeing.

In any event, I went ahead and removed the old power supply and video card and replaced them with the new ones. Both of them are significantly larger than the components they replaced but they were able to fit with some maneuvering. All of the cards are firmly placed in the PCI slots.

The power supply is connected to the hard drive, DVD drive, the motherboard and the new video card. I am not aware of any other connections that need to be made to the power supply. There was not much clearance between the power supply and the back of the DVD drive but I was able to get the data and power cables hooked up to the DVD.

After doing all of this, I hooked up the DVI cable from my monitor, plugged in the power cable and turned the power supply on. When I plug it in, the power button on top of the tower illuminates and the power supply appears to be working. On the other hand, my monitor indicates that there is no video signal. I tried putting the old video card back in, but I still did not get a video signal. Since I can't get a video signal, I can't tell if the PC is booting up or not.

Does anyone know the purpose of the wires that were connected at the top of the tower?

Would they cause they cause this problem if they are not properly connected?
Any suggestions for possible causes of the lack of a signal from either video card?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 11 (2,613 Views)

Re: No Video Signal After Replacing Graphics Card & Power Supply

Philipdscr, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Motherboard Specifications page for the computer.  In the section titled "Motherboard layout", you can see the connectors that are available.  It may help you find where the wires connect.

Now, did you connect the 6 pin power connector on the video card?  You can look in the Details to see that there is a 6 pin power connector.  The card in the link is an EVGA.  I don't know what brand that you purchased.

By the way, your choice of PSU's is good.  I like Corsair.  They are a very high end manufacturer.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 11 (2,606 Views)

The two thin wires are the antenna (2 internal posts to connect an internal or extenal antenna) for the included 802.11 Wireless a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card. This should not cause a problem with powering up, unless the wires are shorted across the motherboard or something.

As for the rest of your concerns, make sure there is nothing shorted out. Unplug and reseat all power connectors. Also try resetting/clearing the BIOS/CMOS by following this link; http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01635688&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3867599 and scrolling down to "Clearing the CMOS settings."

Frank

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Tutor
philipdscr
Message 4 of 11 (2,601 Views)

Once I learned that the small PCI card was for the wireless internet function, I had a hunch that the wires might be an antenna of some sort. It looks like the external antenna wire (the one that threads out the back and under the removable top panel that shouldn't be removed)  has pulled loose at both ends (there is exposed wire at both ends). What I take to be the internal antenna is still attached to the PCI card at one end, but the other end does not look like it was ever attached to anything (no exposed metal), so that is probably not really an issue.

There is also a short wire (~5 in) that is supposed to be attached beneath the power button at one end and at the front of the top panel. Is that an antenna as well?

In any event, I don't use the system's wireless capability, so this is no big deal if that is all these wires are used for.

My biggest concern right now is that I damaged the motherboard or another internal component when I was maneuvering the power supply and video card into place. The case is somewhat cramped (especially for my thick fingers) and the new components are significantly larger than the old ones.

I'm also concerned about the integrity of the cables going into the back of the optical drive. There is probably 1.5" between the optical drive and the power supply and their cables are competing for space (with the power supply winning by sheer size and number). The data and power cables for the optical drives can't be removed without removing the power supply first and they basically have to be bent 90 degrees at the connectors. Still, I would not think that would interfere with booting up or getting a signal from the graphics card.

I'll do what you said as far as checking the connections and resetting the BIOS/CMOS. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help.

Philip

Tutor
philipdscr
Message 5 of 11 (2,600 Views)

Good evening.

Thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure that I have everything plugged into the motherboard that should be.

The optical drive and hard drive are both powered by the motherboard and both data and power cables are plugged in.

The auxiliary fans are also powered by the motherboard were not unplugged when I was working in the tower.

The 6 pin power connecter from the power supply is plugged in to the video card.

The 24 pin power cable from the power supply is connected to the motherboard, but nothing is in the port that is adjacent to it (labeled EDD1 or FDD1 on the motherboard layout diagram) though I do not remember unplugging anything from it and I don't know what is for. Is anything supposed to be plugged into it?

Also, there is this connector that attaches to the back of the hard drive cage. Half of the connector is connected to a Molex power cable. Does that need to be connected to anything? I don't recall needing to plug it into a power source.

I am going to re-plug in everything to make sure the connections are good and reset the BIOS/CMOS like was suggested in another response. We'll see what happens.

Tutor
philipdscr
Message 6 of 11 (2,597 Views)

I've decided that the power supply is just too long for my PC case. I'm going to see if I can exchange it for one that is a little shorter. The one I have is 6.3" long. Corsair's Builder series has a 600W supply that is 5.5" long. That should give me enough clearance to work with.

It's getting late. I'll see if I can put the old card and supply back in tomorrow and see what happens then.

Tutor
philipdscr
Message 7 of 11 (2,578 Views)

I finally got the new power supply and after installing it and reinstalling all of the other hardware, I still have the same problem with not getting a video signal. This is the case with both the old graphics card and the new one, so i don't think it is a problem with a defective card.

When I start up the system, I can see the fans (over the processor, the one at the front of the case and the one on the graphics card) spinning, so they are getting power. 

I reset the CMOS as was suggested, but that was on Saturday. Do I need to do it again?

I am about to the point of taking it to a repair shop to see if they can figure out what is wrong.

Does anyone have any suggestions for possible fixes that I can try before I do that?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 8 of 11 (2,572 Views)

Phillip, just for the record, I am asking this question because I have done this in the past.  Only once, but I did it.

Have you connected the monitor to the port on the video card or the port in the I/O panel of the computer?  In my excitement to use my new video card, I connected the monitor to the port on the computer.  Of course, I didn't get any video to the monitor, either. :smileytongue:  So, I know that it can happen.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 9 of 11 (2,567 Views)

The video output ports from the motherboard are covered by plates that prevent connecting anything to them unless the plates are removed.

This morning before work I removed the plate covering the DVI port and hooked up the monitor to it but there was still no signal. It was only after I left my apartment that I remembered that onboard graphics are disabled when a graphics card is installed.

I suppose I could see what happens if I removed the graphics card and try it again, but that may just be a waste of time.

Tutor
philipdscr
Message 10 of 11 (2,563 Views)

I just took the PC to a repair shop and it turns out the problem was pretty simple: I did not have the 4-pin PCU power supply cable hooked up. Everything appeared to start up fine when we hooked it up at the shop. Luckily, the place I took it did not even charge me anything since they don't charge for assesments and since it was such a simple fix.

I feel kind of dumb now, but I will know better next time...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation