Question

Top Student
dudleydooright
Message 1 of 9 (1,400 Views)

Noisy Power Supply Unit

My HP (m9517c) starting making a very noticeable humming noise after 3 months of use. I checked all the fans and that was not the problem. I traced the noise to the PSU itself. It is not the fan, but the PSU making a humming noise. HP support couldn't provide a new PSU, so I bought an OEM replacement myself. After installing new unit, it now makes more noise than the first one. I determined it was not the fan itself making the noise by turning off machine and placing wooden stick in fan blade to stop it on boot up. The PSU still emitted the loud humming noise ??

Intern
Intern
wl
Message 2 of 9 (1,376 Views)

Re: Noisy Power Supply Unit

If still under warranty, why do you say HP "couldn't" provide a new PSU?

Have you added anything since the purchase and what PSU was your replacement? Could be a cheap PSU problem.

One customer on this forum was even told dust and bugs were his problem.

Top Student
dudleydooright
Message 3 of 9 (1,370 Views)

Glad you asked that question. HP support told me PSU was not available( out of Then I asked if the repair center has the part,  why can't the repair center ship me the PSU ? I was told they are " not authorized to do that". Ok, how about that HPparts.com online had the PSU in stock where I could order it myself ?. , but HP can't supply the part? " I'm sorry, we are not authorized to do that." I did add a blu-ray burner since purchase, but also tried disconnecting to see if it made any difference. It didn't. Replacement PSU is exact OEM as original.

Intern
Intern
wl
Message 4 of 9 (1,363 Views)

There's all kind of wrong in this story. HP told me that they NEVER ship motherboards to customers yet there is a customer on this message board awaiting installation of one they did send to him. They rely on customers backing down. Is the PSU still returnable? Continue your talks with HP about the PSU. It's possible for a bad component elsewhere in the PC to drive a PSU to hum. Bad thing about PSUs is that a tester can determine the output is within tolerance but one of the filtering components could indeed be noisy and not be affecting the voltage output. If you live near a trusted repair shop they should be able to offer an opinion as well. Geek squad offered to bench mine under warranty and determine my problem.

Top Student
dudleydooright
Message 5 of 9 (1,357 Views)

I should have previewed my last post. HP online support told me the only option was to send my computer to HP repair center because the PSU was  "out of stock".  Then they told me there was an authorized HP repair center right in my city and they would send me a box to transport the computer to the repair center. Great....I thought ! When I received the box, the shipping label read some place in TEXAS. I live in MN ! So then I get back online and e-mail complaint to some HP VP address I found online. About 3 days later I receive a call for "escalated customer service" who asks me to HOLD while they connect me to a "case manager". Guess what the "case manager" tells me? Same thing that online chat support told me a week earlier. That part is not available, and we are not "authorized" to have parts shipped from the repair center or the HPparts.com site. So I ordered the OEM myself and back to my problem...It still makes noise.. :smileysad:

Intern
Intern
wl
Message 6 of 9 (1,342 Views)

Did you see my PM?

Check out the messge at

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware/New-Computer-Power-Issues/td-p/224893

Talk about VIP treatment. You and I did something wrong. If they were sending yours to Irving Texas, that is where mine went and they totally missed the repair. HP was good about shipping overnight to minimize the transportation time. Mine went overnight from Alabama.

Top Student
dudleydooright
Message 7 of 9 (1,324 Views)

Thanks Tutor for your replies. I did check out that link to the other thread for other suggestions. At this point, I'm not sure which way I want to go. Send the whole thing off to Irving, TX. and get a refurbished unit in return. Try another PSU ( not an HP replacement)...or I still have time to return it to my local Sam's Club and start all over again. Sam's HAD a 6 month return policy, which they have since dropped, but they will still honor it in my case. BTW, check out the latest PC World magazine issue. HP ranked dead last in all 9 categories for laptops and desktop systems, AND printers. Considering my recent experience, I understand why.

Intern
Intern
wl
Message 8 of 9 (1,323 Views)

Did you get my personal message?

My Chrstmas shopping this year was based on the problems between my p6130f PC and C6280 AIO not communicating properly. If HP can't coordinate their own equipment to work with it each it does diminish confidence in them. So far we are VERY pleased with the Acer desktop, 2 Gateway laptops, and Canon AIO we got for Christmas. All my PCs but the HP communicate well with the HP printer as well as the Canon. It's been escalated but excused as unfixable. A replacement HP PC of a different model duplicates the problem.

Top Student
dudleydooright
Message 9 of 9 (1,313 Views)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation