Non-Quadro cards in a Z1 Workstation (496 Views)
Intern
RogerWilco
Message 1 of 6 (496 Views)
Accepted Solution

Non-Quadro cards in a Z1 Workstation

The Z1 has a MXM 3.0 Type B socket for graphics cards. I spoke to a HP tech guy whether HP restricts the BIOS to only Quadro MXM cards from HP and he said they did not.

He also said any MXM 3.0/B card should work but HP will not offer support for this + might void the warranty.

I'd just like confimation if this is indeed the case. Anyone with a Z1 who has done this or anyone know?

Thanks for any help.

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 6 (442 Views)

Non-Quadro cards in a Z1 Workstation

Hello RogerWilco,

I can't say for certain if the MXM 3.0B card would work, but if there is a slot for it then it SHOULD work. Adding another card to the machine though will not void the warranty necessarily though. The warranty may be voided if the card somehow caused physical damage to the machine (e.g. caught fire), but just adding a card shouldn't present any warranty problems.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Honor Student
V1per
Message 3 of 6 (308 Views)

Re: Non-Quadro cards in a Z1 Workstation

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Just now i installed mxm3.0b card (gtx770m) on my hp z1 station. Mechanically - everything OK.

But seems we had a bios-level block. This card are compatible with TDP package (75w, lower than 3000m).

Please advise next steps.

I see only "vga standart driver" in win, and drivers from nvidia can't be installed with strange error - "compatible hardware don't found (translate from ru)"

Intern
RogerWilco
Message 4 of 6 (291 Views)

If you have a picture and not a blank screen, then the card is working fine.

To install drivers, refer to this forum topic:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/HP-Z1-quot-Unsupported-quot-Graphics-Ca...

Honor Student
V1per
Message 5 of 6 (275 Views)

RogerWilco, Thx.

Really - i edited - *.inf file from NVIDIA, bcs ID of my card didn't finded at start. Im in shock :smileyhappy:)) 

Now everything is ok

Honor Student
Shaquille
Message 6 of 6 (133 Views)

Hi,

Just installed mxm3.0b card gtx770m  

OS windows 8.1

after while the card was found in device manager and then ran a couple of updates.

after that it worked perfect

greetz

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation