Question

Honor Student
uzzzzy
Message 1 of 13 (3,755 Views)

Nothing Happens after pressing power button

Hi,

For two months now, once i turn on my HP Pavilion s3431 nothing else happens. There is nothing coming up on the display monitor, no post boot sequence. The only action on the PC is that the power light comes on and after that, nothing else happens. I have had this PC for upto 1 year. Can you offer me any help

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 13 (3,747 Views)

Re: Nothing Happens after pressing power button

When you push the power button, if none of the fans begin to whir, it is most likely a failed power supply unit (PSU).  Check to assure that the power cord is connect to the computer fully and plugged into the outlet.  With the case open, watch the fans while pushing the power button.  Do any of the fans twitch or jump?

Also, you can disconnect the power cord.  Push the power button for 10 seconds.  Then, remove the battery for 15 minutes and replace it.  Plug the cord back into the computer and into the outlet and boot.  If you still get no response, it is most likely the PSU.  

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 13 (3,726 Views)

Hi Old_Geekster,

Thanks for your Help, unfortunately I have tried it but the fault still persists.

I just realized , I left out some things in my initial posting.

The Desktop actually powers up with the power light and all fans ( Power pack, processor and Video card) all working.

But that is all that happens. The monitor does not receive any input and the desktop does not make the usually sound for post booting and loading of OS.  What do you think?

Top Student
No_Likey
Message 4 of 13 (3,714 Views)

uzzzzy,

Interesting that you have this problem.  My brand new PC (Pavilion Elite e9270t) exhibits the same behavior, though only randomly.  I'll push the power button on top of the CPU, the button lights up, the fans start, etc., but it never completes a POST (i get no beep) and the monitor remains in standby.  I have to press and hold the power button (for about 8 seconds) until it powers off again and then try powering it on again.  More times than not, the computer will then boot normally.

I suspect a problem with an inadequate power supply (only putting out 350 watts) or maybe a problem with the motherboard bios.

It wll be interesting to see what kind of response this thread generates.

Honor Student
uzzzzy
Message 5 of 13 (3,702 Views)

Thanks No_Likey,

I hope more people will contribute and maybe give a solution to this problem because my desktop has been grounded for about 2 months now with this problem.

Tutor
mozartbrau
Message 6 of 13 (3,658 Views)

Have you tried taking it in to a PC center and having them take a look? It might cost you $40-70 bucks but might help if not a simple problem. Just a thought.

Top Student
nolachi
Message 7 of 13 (3,646 Views)

it sounds like your motherboard.  I have had to replace mine 3 times but it is still under warranty (through the company I purchased it from, not HP).  I would not waste your money because the computer probably isn't worth as much as it will cost you to get it diagnosed and to purchase and install.  spend your money on a Dell.  which is what I will do when this motherboard dies.

Tutor
mozartbrau
Message 8 of 13 (3,637 Views)

nolachi wrote:

it sounds like your motherboard.  I have had to replace mine 3 times but it is still under warranty (through the company I purchased it from, not HP).  I would not waste your money because the computer probably isn't worth as much as it will cost you to get it diagnosed and to purchase and install.  spend your money on a Dell.  which is what I will do when this motherboard dies.

I am willing to spend $200 or so to get it fixed. It is a 2 year old VERY expensive PC. I cannot believe that just sitting there it crapped out. IF I spend the $200 or so on the new motherboard and it is not the problem, essentially I have a $2200 HP-built doorstop!!! I am pissed right now. If the motherboard is not the issue I can tell you I will never in a million years buy another HP product.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 9 of 13 (3,627 Views)

[ Edited ]

old_geekster wrote:

When you push the power button, if none of the fans begin to whir, it is most likely a failed power supply unit (PSU).  Check to assure that the power cord is connect to the computer fully and plugged into the outlet.  With the case open, watch the fans while pushing the power button.  Do any of the fans twitch or jump?

Also, you can disconnect the power cord.  Push the power button for 10 seconds.  Then, remove the battery for 15 minutes and replace it.  Plug the cord back into the computer and into the outlet and boot.  If you still get no response, it is most likely the PSU.  

I left out one important step in the scenario above.  You should move the jumper for clearing the CMOS to position 2-3 for 15 minutes and return it to the original position 1-2.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 10 of 13 (3,494 Views)

Thanks Guys

I have tried Old_Geekster's and the faulty still persists. Its really sad that an expensive PC like this is having such a problem. i will have to spend more cash so see if i can sort it out and with others having this problem, this will be my last HP Desktop ever cause with no warning , the desktop just stopped working and it's not like i used it that much and it was just a year old when it happened.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation