Question
OSD Lockout
Replies (44)

Honor Student
Desiboy
Message 21 of 45 (8,658 Views)

Re: OSD Lockout

Hi

The Solution for OSD Lockout is you need to Press and hold the Menu button for 30 sec

and that will solve the problem

Tutor
mjp65aa
Message 22 of 45 (8,655 Views)

If only that was true it would be nice. Thousands of people have tried everything since the day they bought this HP product. There is no simple fix. HP suggestion is buy another monitor. That is pathetic and criminal.

Student
essam_it_padco
Message 23 of 45 (8,613 Views)

I have monitor give message osd lockout and want rest to factor

Student
mimichetta
Message 24 of 45 (8,524 Views)

simonbelmont wrote:
A while ago, my HP w2207h monitor had this problem with popping up the integrated speaker volume menu, and decreasing the volume to zero, all on it's own. Then the volume menu would pop up almost constantly even though it was at 0. Now, there is a small white box that pops up that says OSD Lockout, and I can't make it stop.

simonbelmont wrote:
A while ago, my HP w2207h monitor had this problem with popping up the integrated speaker volume menu, and decreasing the volume to zero, all on it's own. Then the volume menu would pop up almost constantly even though it was at 0. Now, there is a small white box that pops up that says OSD Lockout, and I can't make it stop.

what is OSD lockout and how do i fix it? I am trying to get my local news on my mail page.

Tutor
mjp65aa
Message 25 of 45 (8,523 Views)

According to HP the only solution is buy a new montior. I will never by another product by HP.

Student
Talith
Message 26 of 45 (8,331 Views)

After reading a lot of ur posts on here i tried  pretty much everything on here, I was able to figure out a way to fix the problem, there is a drawback though, after doing this you will not be able to use any of the menu or volume buttons, but ur OSD Lockout will be gone, first thing u need to do is unplug every from ur monitor, lay ur monitor on something soft and flat like a chair or  a sofa, you'll need 2 common (flat) screwdrivers, and a phillips Screwdriver. First thing u want to do is take the base off the back, you'll need to pop the round cover off first, then starting at the top in the center u want to pry the first common screwdriver under the back cover enough to get ahold of it, use the second common screwdriver to pry up on the corner (note: ur going to have to use alot of force on the corners so u can break the screw mounts, don't worry though, the base that screws on the back will keep the cover where it belongs), do this all the way around. Once you have the cover off, find where the volume control and menu buttons come in, there is a wire that plugs into the circutboard with a white connecter, unplug it, then put everything back together, ur problem will be solved , no more OSD Lockout

Honor Student
paulroebling
Message 27 of 45 (7,820 Views)

This fix of disconnecting the OSD connector is a good one that I will try one day.  Right now I have a toothpick

jammed in above the "MENU" button and that cured my OCD lockout problem.  It seems that if you can hold

the "MENU" button down permanently with a toothpick or something simliar, it is a quick fix.

Student
chivasxevr
Message 28 of 45 (7,546 Views)

on my screen I get a white box that says osd lockout. 

as It take it off?

Tutor
cadesignr
Message 29 of 45 (7,535 Views)

TO ALL WHO READ THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!

i FOUND THE SOLUTION AND IT WAS PRETTY EASY.  AT LEAST IN HINDSIGHT, AND FOR MY PROBLEM ONLY, WHICH WAS...CORRODED MICRO SWITCHES..THANKS TO MY WIFES CAT!!

ONCE YOU REMOVE THE STAND FROM THE MONITO(4 SCREWS ON THE BACK), THE PLASTIC BEZEL THAT SURROUNDS THE ELECTRONICS AND LCD IS VERY EASY TO REMOVE, ALTHOUGH YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL.  THIS BEZEL IS IN TWO PARTS. FRONT AND BACK. THERE ARE NO SCREWS. THEY ARE HELD TOGETHER BY A SERIES OF HIDDEN "FRICTION CATCHES". THE TRICK IS LEVERAGE, AND YOU MUST BE VERY CAREFUL. 

LAY THE MONITOR FACE UP ON SOMETHING SOFT, LIKE A FOLDED TOWEL.  NOW LOOK CAREFULLY AT THE BLACK FRONT BEZEL. YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A GAP, ABOUT 1/8" BETWEEN THE BLACK FRONT BEZEL, AND THE SILVER REAR BEZEL THAT SURROUNDS THE FRONT BEZEL AT THE PERIMETER OF THE MONITOR.  YOU NEED A FLAT PIECE OF WOOD, LIKE 1/8" THICK PLYWOOD, WHICH IS WHAT I USED.  IT SHOULD BE ABOUT AN INCH WIDE, AND ABOUT A FOOT LONG. NOW, START AT ONE SIDE, AND CAREFULLY INSERT THIS LEVER INTO THE GAP ABOUT AN INCH FROM ONE CORNER.  ONCE YOU HAVE THIS LEVER INSERTED IN THE GAP, CAREFULLY PRY THE BLACK BEZEL UPWARDS UNTILL YOU HEAR A LITTLE "SNAP" OR FEEL A LITTLE  MOVEMENT OF THE BEZEL UPWARDS TO A POINT  WHEREBY THE BEZEL DOES NOT RETURN TO ITS ORIGINAL LOCATION.  ONCE YOU DO THIS, MOVE THE LEVER TO THE OPPOSITE CORNER ON THE SAME SIDE, AND REPEAT CAREFULLY.  AS YOU HAVE LIFTED THIS SIDE OF THE BEZEL UPWARDS ABOUT 1/4",  YOU CAN NOW PROCEED ALONG THE TOP AND BOTTOM EDGES REPEATING THIS LEVERAGING ACTION, APPROXIMATELY 2" AT A TIME, ALTERNATING BETWEEN FRONT AND BOTTOM EDGES.

AS YOU PROCEED, YOU WILL NOTICE THE PREVIOUS SIDE SHOULD BE INCREASINGLY OPENI BETWEEN THE FRONT AND REAR BEZEL. BY THE TIME YOU REACH THE OPPOSITE SIDE, YOU MIGHT EVEN BE ABLE TO PULL THE BLACK BEZEL COMPLETELY OFF THE MONITOR. IF NOT, CONTINUE DOWN THIS OPPOSITE SIDE. IF IT HASN'T COMPLETELY POPPED LOOSE, THEN YOU MUST INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF PRESSURE ON THE LEVER, AND SLOWLY/CARFULLY TRY TO LOOSEN THE BEZEL BY REPEATING THIS SEQUENCE.  THE POINT IS..NOT TO CRACK THE BEZEL ITSELF.  SOON, YOU MIGHT HEAR A LITTLE "POP", WHICH IS THE SOUND OF ONE OR MORE OF THESE FRICTION CATCHES RELEASING THEIR HOLD. 

IF YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS FIRST STEP, THEN YOU  WILL SEE A SMALL CIRCUIT BOARD BEHIND THE MICRO SWITCH PUSH BUTTONS.   THESE MICRO SWITCHS MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE PROBLEM. IN MY CASE, MY WIFES CAT HAD PEED ON THE BOTTOM EDGE OF THE MONITOR, WHICH THEN RAN DOWN INSIDE THE BEZEL, AND THE SWITCHES, WHICH THEN CORRODED THEM.

TO SEE IF THE PROBLEM IS THE MICRO SWITCHES, YOU MUST REMOVE THIS CIRCUIT BOARD VIA 2 OR 3(I DON'T REMEMBER HOW MANY)SMALL SCREWS. ONCE YOU REMOVE THESE SCREWS, YOU CAN LIFT THE CIRCUT BOARD ENOUGH TO PULL THE THREE WIRE CONNECTOR FROM THE CIRCUIT BOARD.   ALSO, THERE IS ANOTHER SMALL PLASTIC ASSEMBLY THAT IS THE PUSH BUTTON ASSEMBLY.  NOW YOU CAN REMOVE IT AS WELL.   

OK, AT THIS POINT, THINGS GET A LITTLE COMPLICATED, BUT AS I HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS THING, HERE IS WHAT I SUGGEST.

IF YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ELECTRONICS, OR ARE NOT USED TO TROUBLE SHOOTING, THE BEST THING TO DO IS JUST LEAVE THE CIRCUIT BOARD OUT OF THE CIRCUIT...PERIOD. NOTHING WILL HAPPEN OTHER THAN THE OSD LOCKOUT SCREEN MAY OR MAY NOT RETURN.IF IT DOES RETURN, THEN YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY RETURN THE MONITOR TO IT'S DEFAULT SETTINGS. THIS IS DONE BY USING A SHORT PIECE OF WIRE, TO CONNECT ONE OF THE THREE WIRES IN THE HARNESS, TO ONE OF THE OTHERS, WHICH AT THIS POINT I DON'T REMEMBER. HOWEVER, IF YOU REALLY NEED TO DO THIS, CONTACT ME AND I WILL REFRESS MY MEMORY.  IT HAS TO DO WITH  THE FACT THAT ONE WIRE IS THE COMMON, AND THE OTHER TWO, WHEN CONNECTED TO THE COMMON, MAKES VARIOUS MENUS APPEAR ON THE SCREEN.  ONE OF THESE MENUS, HAS A LIST OF VARIOUS THINGS YOU CAN SELECT, WHICH "RETURN DEFAULT SETTINGS" IS ONE OF THEM. ONCE YOU SELECT THIS VIA THE WIRE CONNECTION, THE OSD LOCKOUT WILL DISAPPEAR..PERMENTLY!!!!

HOWEVER, HERE IS WHAT I DID TO SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE THIS MISSION. IN REALITY, I ENDED UP SIMPLY REMOVING THE CIRCUIT BOARD FROM THE CIRCUIT.  UNFORTUNATELY, I WENT THROUGH HELL TRYING TO FIX THE SWITCH THING. AND DURING THE PROCESS, I LEARNED SOME VERY IMPORTANT LESSONS IN DIY ELECTRONICS REPAIR.

AFTER FINDING THESE EXACT MICROSWITCHS AT RADIOSHACK(PACKAGE OF 4 FOR $4), AND REMOVING THE OLD SWITCHES, AND THEN SOLDERING THE NEW ONES IN PLACE, I DISCOVERED ANOTHER PROBLEM. NOT ONLY HAD THE CAT PEE DESTROYED THE SWITCHES, IT ALSO CORRODED THE CONTACTS WITHIN THE CONNECTOR HOUSING.  NOW, THIS REQUIRED UNSOLDERING THIS CONNECTOR, AND SOLDERING THE 3 WIRES DIRECTLY TO WHERE THEIR RESPECTIVE CONTACT LOCATION ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD.  AND THIS WAS NO EASY TASK, AS THE COPPER TRACES ON THE CIRCUIT BOARD ARE ONLY ABOUT 1/32" APART, AND THE TRACE'S THEMSELVES WERE VERY EASY TO ACCIDENTLY CONNECT TOGETHER WHEN UN SOLDERING THINGS. AND ONCE YOU DO THIS...IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO GET THE SOLDER REMOVED BETWEEN THE TRACES. FORTUNATELY, I WAS NASA CERTIFIED IN CIRCUIT BOARD SOLDERING, AND HAVE A SPECIAL DE-SOLDERING TOOL, WHICH BASICALLY SUCKS THE SOLDER OFF THE BOARD ONCE HEATED. 

HOWEVER, EVEN AFTER CAREFULL DE-SOLDERING, AND RE-SOLDERING THE NEW SWITCHES IN PLACE,  I COULDN'T GET THE CIRCUIT TO OPPERATE CORRECTLY...THAT IS....ONCE I PUT THE CIRCUIT BOARD BACK IN PLACE, AND RECONNECTED IT...IT STILL WOULDN'T WORK RIGHT. AFTER 2 HOURS OF EXAMINATION, TRIAL AND ERROR CIRCUIT TRACING, AND A WHOLE LOT OF CONTINUITY CHECKS, AND EVEN DRAWING THE CIRUCIT BOARD OUT IN SKETCHUP TO UNDERSTAND THE CIRCUT, I ENDED UP JUST LIKE I TOLD YOU EARLIER. I HAD TO IDENTIFY THE COMMON WIRE IN THE HARNESS AT THE MONITOR ITSELF, AND THEN RANDOMLY CONNECT IT TO EACH OF THE OTHER 2 WIRES TO SEE WHAT IT DID.  AFTER A FEW MINUTES...VOILA...I FIGURED IT OUT.   AND AFTER A FEW EXPERIMENTS..I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION ...SIMPLY RE SET THE MONITOR TO ITS DEFAUL SETTINGS, AND BE DONE WITH IT. PERIOD.

NOW, THIS SOLUTION MEANS YOU HAVE NO ACCESS ANY MORE TO THE ON SCREEN MENUS. WELL...WHO THE F--K CARES.  IF YOU ONLY WANT THE **bleep** MONITOR TO WORK...THIS IS THE SOLUTION.  OTHER THAN THAT....BE MY GUEST...SEE IF YOU CAN REP[LACE THE SWITCHES YOURSELF, AS OTHER THAN BAD ELECTRONICS IN THE MONITOR ITSELF...BAD SWITCHES IS PROBABLY YOUR PROBLEM, AS THESE ARE VERY SMALL CONNECTIONS IN THE SWITCHS. I MEAN...I EVEN OPENED ONE OF THE BAD SWITCHES TO EXAMINE HOW THEY ARE MADE. I LEARN  A WHOLE LOT BY THIS PROCESS, AND OVER THE YEARS, MY DAD'S AXIOM OF  "LOOK AT IT STUPID!" HAS PROVED OVER AND OVER THAT THE SIMPLE ACT OF LOOKING CAREFULL AT THINGS WILL USUALLY RESULT IN FINDING THE PROBLEM...WHICH IN TURN...MEANS YOU CAN SOLVE IT.

WELL, THAT'S ABOUT IT.  IF YOU NEED MORE HELP, DON'T HESITATE TO ASK.  I'M STILL HERE AND HAVE THE CIRCUIT BOARD DRAWN IN SKETCHUP WHICH WILL HELP ME REMEMBER WHICH WIRES WERE WHICH.

FITZ

Student
bruceaahundley
Message 30 of 45 (7,407 Views)

what is it and how do you stop it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation