Question
OSD Lockout
Replies (44)

qvs Student
Student
qvs
Message 31 of 45 (5,014 Views)

Re: OSD Lockout

The fix... Holding down the menu botton on the monitor for 18 to 20 secs will lock and unlock the OSD.

Tutor
mjp65aa
Message 32 of 45 (5,001 Views)

I just bought a LG monitor and will nevert buy another HP product because of how the compnay treated me in relation to this issue.

Top Student
Molls
Message 33 of 45 (4,941 Views)

When holding down the menu button, careful not to push too hard; the monitor buttons are very sensitive and can easily break or lock in. That is how some of you get a constant OSD Lockout message. That message should last a few seconds and disappear.

It will appear again when you press and hold for the 10seconds and go away when the menu dialog box comes up. & that should do the trick.

If you are getting the flashing OSD message, or Your Volume is at 0% and the message wont go away :- It means your   - volume button is locked in. To release the locked button, just gently toggle around the buttons, while "feeling" if there is a little click when you push them. You can also get a small sewing needle and clean around the buttons. Sometimes they accumulate dirt and get stuck.

Honor Student
dragonflyatrest
Message 34 of 45 (4,749 Views)

I have read the various posts on OSD Lockout, tried all of the various solutions and nothing works.  Is this a problem inherent in HP monitors or is it computer generated problem?

Top Student
Molls
Message 35 of 45 (4,741 Views)

OSD Lockout is not a problem. It is a function in the monitor. You use it to lock the Monitor menu after configuring your prefered settings. It is very useful.

To activate/deactivate it, you press and hold the menu button for 10 - 15 seconds. Dont press the menu button multiple times, just hold it down.

If the message doesnt go away, and stays on top of the display, the problem is your monitor buttons. One or more of them is holding down and not releasing.

You can replace the buttons and your monitor will be ok. I'm not sure if HP partstore sells replacement parts for this monitor. But you can find some on ebay.

check this ebay link for the [monitor buttons]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-W1907-Menu-Control-Buttons-Including-Board-in-excellent-Condition-/200826...
Tutor
mjp65aa
Message 36 of 45 (4,728 Views)

The thousands of people with this problem are not stupid. This is a malfuction when the lock out engages when it has not been actived.

Top Student
Molls
Message 37 of 45 (4,715 Views)

It is understandable that thousands would have this problem.

Please be mindful that one can activate this setting accidentally. The buttons on this monitor are located on the bottom right edge. Anything pushed against them can activate the osd lockout. For example, your keyboard if pushed against the monitor and pushes the menu button, can activate osd lockout. And overtime, the buttons will wearout; hence the permanent osd lockout.

Like said earlier, it would be cheaper to replace the buttons than buy a new monitor.

If anything is wrong with this monitor, it would be the placement of the buttons panel. Their position allows for accidental activation.

Just do a little test to see for yourself. [Move your keyboard closer to the monitor, and see how it touches the monitor buttons.Then just touch it against the buttons, and you will see that it activates them.]

That is one of the ways you can accidentally activate the OSD Lockout. And with prolonged stress on the buttons, they will break or lock in.
Tutor
mjp65aa
Message 38 of 45 (4,711 Views)

You are still failing to understand, AGAIN. We understand how things work and they are supposed to  work. This problem which was probably designed into the product, cause an obstruction to come into the middle of the screen intermittantly. It is not a user issue.

Student
ToniInVenice
Message 39 of 45 (4,247 Views)

I have followed each of the suggestions appearing here, and none of them worked. I was told that if none of these worked, then I would probably need a new monitor. It's ridiculous to have to purchase a new monitor after just a few years of service with no way to fix it. Not a happy camper!  :smileymad:

Student
osito
Message 40 of 45 (2,760 Views)

why is my screen all the time OSD LoCKOUG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation