Question

Student
Jartus20
Message 1 of 9 (6,402 Views)

P6-2133w HP Pavilion. Video card upgrade HELP!!!

[ Edited ]

I just bought my first PC 2 days ago, mainly because i wanted to get outta the whole console ordeal and start gaming on PC. The specs for this computer aren't bad, i ran some test on Battlefield 3 (very demanding) and noticed all i really need to do is upgrade my video card to a AMD Radeon HD 6950. I know a little about computer (software wise) but I've never actually installed hardware stuff to a motherboard before. I want the video card, but i need to know what all i have to do before i buy it. Like can i just upgrade the video card and be good or do i also need to upgrade my power supply? How do i install a new video card? I just need help when it comes to upgrading parts in a PC. Hopefully someone out there has some answers.

THANKS! :smileyhappy:

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 9 (6,372 Views)

Re: P6-2133w HP Pavilion. Video card upgrade HELP!!!

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Read this posted document for background information.

The AMD HD 6950 is a 11" card so it might be too long.  The Sapphire 6870 or 6850 should be adequate for BF3. These cards are 8.5" in length.

The Corsair CX600 is an excellent power supply.

This upgrade and service guide might be helpful.  HP is lean on hardware replacement information for this model.

These HP 'how-to" articles should be helpful.  These tips are for a different model but should work for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
FalseLion
Message 3 of 9 (6,333 Views)

I don't know that I would recommend a psu that is venting into the case, especially with the pci slots being directly below the psu.   Another thing is I don't know if that psu will easily fit into the case.  The case is close quarters up by the psu, anything wider or taller might not fit, and anything longer might not because of the cd-rom drive. 

PSU dimensions on the rig are: 150mm x 140mm x 86mm (5.9 x 5.5 x 3.4 inches)

and like I said i'd recommend something that vents to the back, which is just about slim to none in today's market, i was able to find a 700 watt cool max that barely fit, wound up having to remove the cd-rom drive in order to get it fit though.

Honor Student
rulinryry
Message 4 of 9 (5,584 Views)

i know this post is really old, but its exactly what ive been looking for, i am looking at the p6-2100 (i believe this is an older version or something) but it has a 2.8 ghz amd dual core processor.  and the cards you had from three years ago were now 11.5 inches long as well... so first question

1. would an 11.5 inch for sure fit in the p6-2100? (or something else that would FOR SURE get me the highest settings)

and second...

2. is there a relationship between your processor and how good your graphics card has to be to get maxed out graphics? ex: if i had a 3.3 ghz processor, would i need a less powerful graphics card to achieve max settings vs if i had a 2.8 ghz processor, would i need a more powerful card?

thanks a lot in advance!

Top Student
FalseLion
Message 5 of 9 (5,575 Views)

Honestly you probably won't be able to FOR SURE get maxed out graphics with that processor. Even the best video card would be bottle necked or not perform to its highest level with a 2.8 dual core. Not saying its a bad processor but HP computers are just not built for gaming.
Honor Student
rulinryry
Message 6 of 9 (5,561 Views)

okay thanks that helps me a lot because i was looking at 2 machines, the other has a 3.3 i3 processor, that would be able to use all the potential of the graphics card right?

here it is... http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-DX4860-UB32P-Desktop-Intel-Core/dp/B0072H9RXK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics...

Top Student
FalseLion
Message 7 of 9 (5,534 Views)

[ Edited ]

well for starters, the psu in that gateway isn't large enough to handle a high performance video card, not to mention gateways aren't built for gaming either.  If you're looking for a gaming computer and want to run game's on their maximum settings the best advice I can give to you is to build your own rig, it's cheap and not as hard as some would make it out to sound.  

If you're looking to add a video card to any mass produced computer (dell, hp, etc), you're going to have to upgrade the power supply first because most casual desktops have a 350 watt psu and most have less than that.  I think my nvidia 550 requires at least a 400 watt psu and it's by no means a high end card, most i think require a 500 watt psu and that's just to run the card, you need extra juice for all the other hard drive.  The problem with upgrading psu's on mass produced computers, is most use custom cases that are roughly equivalent (but not exactly equivalent) to a micro ATX which is smaller than your standard case and often times has the cdrom in a position to where some PSU's will not fit into the tower.  

So really best advice I can give you is to either build your own computer, or buy a custom built rig.

Honor Student
rulinryry
Message 8 of 9 (5,515 Views)

no sooner than you said that, im gonna start building my own rig thanks for the help!

Honor Student
bjork
Message 9 of 9 (4,866 Views)

You need to upgrade the Power Supply (PSU). It is easy. I did a lot of reseach and found that you need more Wattage and specifically over 18 to 24 Amps on the +12V rail for a decent video card to work. The power supply needs to be the EXACT size as the stock PSU or it wont fit. I found many choices but settled on the Rosewill RG630-S12 (Newegg.com $50). It is 140mm X 86mmX130mm powerful and quiet. This will support just about any high-end card with all the correct power connections, and more. It is 630 Watts and 50Amp on the +12V. Fits the p6-21xx case perfectly. I ran the NVidia GTX 550Ti and read that people run the GTX 680 and it works great. The CPU is adequate, and the RAM is more than needed. Just get the right sized PSU and Graphics card and you are good to go. I got both the PSU and Video card for under $200. It worked perfect from the get go and have been gaming happily since. The Radeon should work with this PSU just fine. Just unplug all connections, open the case, remove old PSU, install new PSU and connections, add the video card, connect the power the the Video card, and fire it up.  Pretty fine rig and cheap too! :catwink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation