PC time wrong , BIOS time , CMOS issue ? (268 Views)
Intern
Dink4
Message 1 of 5 (268 Views)

PC time wrong , BIOS time , CMOS issue ?

Hi ,

I have recently bought an XW8400 workstation , all seems to be fine ,with no running issues atall .

So far I would describe it as a lovely piece of kit :smileyhappy: with Quality construction and overly adequate cooling ( 4 Fans )

However I have noticed that the time in XP/win7 seems to be a bit strange !!

If I correct time manually via either ( XP or 7 ) running system or by Internet Time Server , time stays OK until I turn OFF ?

It is a dual boot with these 2 OS's so it's NOT software.

It is a 2 CPU setup ( Intel 5160 ) with 8 x 1GB RAM sticks , it is running in AHCI mode via BIOS and is booting to 1 single Raptor 160 GB 10,000 rpm drive , Nvidia FX1400 Graphics dual DVI .

I have tried turning ALL power saving options in BIOS off/on , I have also tried updating BIOS to version 2.38 , I have replaced the CMOS battery , which insidently was low at 1.6v , the new CR2032 reads 3.2v , I have checked the CMOS holder and it looks clean and solid to MB .

Last night I tried setting time in BIOS , saved changes , booted into XP , all seemed good time was accurate for over an hour. So I shut down and went back to BIOS checked time again , still OK. Shut down removed side disconnected Hard Drive rebooted to BIOS time had changed a bit ( 1/2 mins ) approx , this was I assume time taken to remove side and SATA plug . Shut down and leave , this morning I booted to BIOS and TIME had stopped at the time I turned PC off.

Left it and checked just now 5 pm , BIOS time still exactly where it was when I turned off ( frozen ) from the night before , the AC lead has not been removed .

Am I missing something really silly in BIOS settings , or is the MB dead ?

The other BIOS settings ALL stay good and so does the DATE .

Searching GOOGLE some say the CMOS TOY ( Time Of Year ) clock can be dead , as it consists of a crystal and an RC network ( capacitor and resistor ) , if PC has got hot capacitor could be dying or there could be a dry joint on MB ?

Anyone with any ideas ?         Even if they are crazy :smileyhappy:  

I understand PC's and Electronics but this has me stumped !

Or do I send it back to Ebay dealer ( Charles Computers ) he does deal in loads of these XW WORKSTATIONS but seems to be ignoring my emails at the moment . As it has warranty still ?

Dave.

Professor
npw05001
Message 2 of 5 (212 Views)

Re: PC time wrong , BIOS time , CMOS issue ?

Hello Dink4,

The computer you are posting about is a commercial HP unit. Here is a link to the commercial forum, it may be more helpful to you.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Intern
Dink4
Message 3 of 5 (203 Views)

Thanks for the input npw05001 ,

but if you look here you will see I have done that already :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/PC-time-wrong-BIOS-time-CMOS-issue/m-p/...

I was hoping that someone here might know :smileyhappy:

Dave.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 5 (197 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I haven't looked at the motherboard for your PC.

The main timing crystal could be bad.  The clear CMOS jumper may be loose or on the wrong pins. If you have a clear CMOS switch then make sure that it is not stuck depressed.

hmmmm --- I wonder why "Charles Computer" is not responding?

You really should be on the other forum with your issue.

Have you thought about taking your PC into a local competent PC repair shop?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Intern
Dink4
Message 5 of 5 (185 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave_G ,

I  just checked CMOS clear switch and it does click so I assume it's not stuck and CMOS jumper is on correct pins , thanks for the heads up :smileyhappy:

I thought both forums might give me a better chance of a reply and to be honest , I have had nothing back on the Business forum so I'm glad I did post here :smileyhappy:

Charles Computers finally came back to me , after a week of silence and suggested it may have a problem , and asked if I wanted it to be sent back for repair ??

I emailed straight back with yes and since , have heard nothing again , so I am not overly pleased with their Customer Service , they do sell loads of these but when you scrutinise their feedback on Ebay seems if you have a problem they don't move very quickly. Maybe hoping you'll give up ?

Thanks for giving me something to try I hadn't thought of , I do think it may be a dead / need repair on MB though , pity .

Would love to pull the board out and look with a magnifier for dry joints or stick a scope on near the crystal and look for a reading , but this has 30 day warranty so don't want to go too deep or he'll say the damage was caused by me .

However it looks as though by the time I get it back warranty will be out , sneaky move on his part !!

Dave. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation