Question

Top Student
hello_there
Message 1 of 7 (3,344 Views)

PCI-E Radeon card addition disabled network adapter

Compaq Presario SR5610F w/VISTA home premium - PCI Express Slot, 64MB onboard video. I installed a Radeon 256MB card into the PCI-Express slot, rebooted, selected PCIE as the main video option in the BIOS. PC Booted up fine, made the primary video output the new card. The 10/100 adapter disabled itself. I did NOT install the card drivers and quickly powered down and reversed everything I did. The system is up and running again.

Should I install the drivers to see if this corrects the issue. This really sounds more of a HW conflict than a driver issue. I googled all I could, I remember reading one post a while ago stating a known conflict with the Radeon cards and VISTA. Any help appreciated - I am going to search on the ATI site for a solution as well.

Thanks!

Top Student
hello_there
Message 2 of 7 (3,340 Views)

Re: PCI-E Radeon card addition disabled network adapter

Found this on the ATI site.

• If your network card becomes disabled or there is a resource issue after you install a FireMV product, this is a known Microsoft issue and they have a fix for it. It is not available for direct download. You must do the following:
    • Call Microsoft HotFix rep at : 800.936.4900 option 0.
    • You will be connected with a MS HotFix representative, and you need to ask for HotFix # KB890463.
    • They will ask you why you need the patch, be persistent and tell them that the manufacturer told you to get it.
    • They will email you a link to the HotFix which will expire in 7 days so install right away.

Does anyone have anything to add to this? I'm not sure I want to use the card since I would have to keep the patch handy everytime the system gets rebuilt.

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 3 of 7 (3,325 Views)

Go into the BIOS from F1 (xp) or F10 (vista) and under the Advanced tab make sure onboard sound is set to Enabled.

Also try rebooting and reinstall original driver if possible.

Top Student
hello_there
Message 4 of 7 (3,321 Views)

Thanks for the reply - just a question - when you say to make sure onboard sound is enabled did you mean "onboard video". Just making sure, I know there are some really strange fixes out there some of which seemingly have nothing to do with the root issue.

Just in case - I did reenable the onboard video back from the PCIE option. There are three - onboard, PCI and PCIE..........

Thanks again...

Student
pwilliams18
Message 5 of 7 (2,705 Views)

I have an open case with HP on this issue.  The hotfix is part of XP SP3.  I have this issue and HP has no idea what to do.  Which is a **bleep** shame since I am waiting to purchase 20 machines but cannot since I have boxes of PCI 4 head Graphics Cards.  What the hell is wrong with HP (and MS) that they do not have any of this documented anywhere.  I told my HP tech about the issue and this thread but he gave up after 30 minutes and said he had no idea what else to do.

I have the exact same issue on all three new HP's I bought.  I tried 5 different PCI video cards from different vendors.  If anyone has a solution outside of the hotfix which is no longer a fix, I'd appreciate it.

Top Student
hello_there
Message 6 of 7 (2,682 Views)

HP assisted me with this a while ago. The fix is to delete the graphics adapter, reboot and let the plug and play find the driver. You will probably need to unplug and replug the ethernet cable in to get it to light up. I wound up wiping VISTA off the machine went with XP pro. I also bought a 10/100/1000 card - the machine is nice and stable now.
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 7 of 7 (2,670 Views)

Sorry I meant make sure Onboard LAN is enabled then save BIOS settings and reboot.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation