Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

At least I can rely on myself to find out for sure what works and what doesnt. But if anyone has ANY ideas about getting this to work, or any ideas about sueing HP for BS (or even BIOS) then Im all ears!

It seems to me so far that its pot luck about who tells you useful info when dealing with HP. I even had a chat session where the same guy in the same conversation told me:

Firstly - "Bios can be dangerous and we dont give out links to updates without next level tech approval"

Secondly, a little later, - "BIOS update isnt required, it will work perfectly because its a supported CPU"

Thirdly, the knife and twist - "There is a BIOS update coming out soon" (Me "Oh great, when?") "before the end of this month - it will be downloaded automatically and installed without you even knowing, you will get an email to confirm it"

So, a dangerous BIOS which I dont need will be downloaded onto my computer secretly by HP, before the end of the month. But they will email me to taunt tell me it was them that downloaded malicious code onto my PC without my permission.

I just kept asking him "How do you know the update is coming out soon?:womansad:" which he avoided for about 20 mins before finally giving in and getting his supervisor. It must be something they put in the water over at HP.

I wish so much I was making this up.

HP Recommended

Send a PM to

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for that Big Dave. Have just pm'd him with details and specs.

Hope he can help.

HP Recommended

Keep us updated if you happen to try again and get the results you was looking for. 🙂

HP Recommended

Certainly will.

HP Recommended

PresarioOwner,

I've replied to your PM, but for the sake of those monitoring the thread, I'll restate it here.

I had researched this for Fattysgonewild the other day (didn't realize it was the same MB you were asking about).   The list of CPUs he posted was from me - and has all the ones we've shipped or could ship with the motherboard he inquired about (depends on the power supply installed, etc).

The issue here is that all the CPUs this motherboard can support are all Socket AM3 with 95W maximum TDP.   The CPU you're trying to use is a 125W CPU - and the BIOS knows the board can't provide that much current and says so.  I confirmed this with the R&D engineer at HP responsible for this motherboard.

A BIOS update can not change this.  Even if one could be hacked, the board would probably overheat and fail shortly thereafter.

I found the following on Wikipedia that does a good job of summarizing the characteristics of the different Phenom CPUs that are available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors

As to the motherboard specs - I see 9XX - not 965 called out specifically.  My guess is the motherboard specs were posted at the time of the Narra6 introduction.   Usually when they offer a "special edition" or "black label" CPU - its a late edition/upgrade in the product line.   I'll send a request in to the documentation team with a recommendation to update the document to specify 95W TDP maximum.

They might not allow you to return the CPU, but perhaps they can let you exchange the CPU for one that will work...

Good luck...

-DM (an HP employee, but the comments/suggestions are my own, not those of my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
HP Recommended

Thats great sumsolstice, thankyou - I really appreciate the efforts there. Now I know the problem I can get on with solving it.

It leaves me with an opened CPU and the returns policy from lambdatek.com - which is that if its opened you cant return it.

So I am currently having dialogue with customer support regarding the misleading info I have received on the website mobo specs, over the phone and via chat and email - all telling me this CPU was supported and never mentioning the TDP spec which is probably as important as the socket spec. I would not have bought this CPU if I had been given the full info required to get a supported CPU - I would have bought a supported CPU instead. The reason being I dont have that kind of money to waste, and even if I did I wouldnt have the inclination to waste it - I could have bought scratchcards with that cash, or started saving up for an unsupported Intel chip. The opportunities I am being deprived of because of 30 measly watts. And HPs spec deficit.

So I have told customer support that if they cant make a BIOS to fix it (from what sumsolstice says, thats not an option) then they can buy it off me at the price I paid including all carriage and packing.

I cant see how they can say no, but I can still see them saying no.

HP Recommended

Did you ever get a new CPU to work?  Just curious.  I have this same motherboard in my HP Pavilion a6400c and was wanting to upgrade the CPU.  I was looking at the specs of the Phenoms, especially the Phenom II x4 and x6.  The Phenom II x6 1045T looks like it might work, but I'm not sure.  Would love to put a 6 core unit in, but would be willing to settle on a quad like the Phenom II x4 925 2.8 G 95w or 910e 2.5G 65w.  Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi

Yes I did get it to work in the end - with a Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz 95w.

The key is the watts spec mentioned by sumsolstice earlier in this thread. Dont know about putting a 6 Core into an AM3 socket - if it fits and the power spec (watts) of the motherboard is right go for it.

I tried with a 125w CPU first - it didnt work.:smileysad: But the one I have now works like dream :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

The 945?  I don't see a 945 on the AMD site for the Phenom II x 4.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii-model-number-comparison....

Where did you get it?  That would work very well, I like the 3.0 GHZ speed with over clocking it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.