Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 which I want to put in a Compaq Presario CQ5308UK.

The motherboard is a PEGATRON (ASUS) CORP M2N68-LA Narra6 v6.01

It states here

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925534

that my motherboard supports the AMD Phenom II X4 965. So I ordered one.

My BIOS version is 5.20, I cant find any update for this, but when I put it in and switch on its a black screen and then it says

ERROR: Unsupported CPU installed.

PC will automatically power down in a few seconds.

Then it powers down.

Support have been absolutely useless. I cant believe that this is stated as supported and then no one wants to deal with it not working. Wtf is HP playing at?

Anyone got any ideas on this, or is it a waste of 150 quid and a new rule never to buy from HP again, ever?

Help would be greatly appreciated to get this supposedly supported processor working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

PresarioOwner,

I've replied to your PM, but for the sake of those monitoring the thread, I'll restate it here.

I had researched this for Fattysgonewild the other day (didn't realize it was the same MB you were asking about).   The list of CPUs he posted was from me - and has all the ones we've shipped or could ship with the motherboard he inquired about (depends on the power supply installed, etc).

The issue here is that all the CPUs this motherboard can support are all Socket AM3 with 95W maximum TDP.   The CPU you're trying to use is a 125W CPU - and the BIOS knows the board can't provide that much current and says so.  I confirmed this with the R&D engineer at HP responsible for this motherboard.

A BIOS update can not change this.  Even if one could be hacked, the board would probably overheat and fail shortly thereafter.

I found the following on Wikipedia that does a good job of summarizing the characteristics of the different Phenom CPUs that are available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors

As to the motherboard specs - I see 9XX - not 965 called out specifically.  My guess is the motherboard specs were posted at the time of the Narra6 introduction.   Usually when they offer a "special edition" or "black label" CPU - its a late edition/upgrade in the product line.   I'll send a request in to the documentation team with a recommendation to update the document to specify 95W TDP maximum.

They might not allow you to return the CPU, but perhaps they can let you exchange the CPU for one that will work...

Good luck...

-DM (an HP employee, but the comments/suggestions are my own, not those of my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

This is the motherboard for your PC.  I can see the processor upgrade information. I am not sure what the "D" on the X4 models indicate.  Try clearing the CMOS.

The bios is the key.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your response.

D is for Denab, which is the name they gave the processor I think.

How do I clear the CMOS?

Whats the difference between BIOS and CMOS?

Will try this tomorrow.

Cheers

HP Recommended

The instructions for clearing the CMOS are at the motherboard link posted above.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I have the same board and got some information from someone at HP. Like you. I want to upgrade to a quad. I was told the following processors shipped with that board and "should" work. No guarantee. 

AthlonX2-7550 2.5G Kuma AM2+ 95W / PhenomX3-8650 2.3G Toliman AM2+ 95W / PhenomX4-9650 2.3G Agena AM2+ 95W / PhenomII-X2-545 3.0G Callisto AM3 80W / PhenomII-X3-720 2.8G Heka AM3 95W / Phenom II-X4-810 2.6G Deneb AM3 95W / Phenom II-X4-925 2.8G Deneb A / AthlonII-X4-635 2.9G Propus AM3 95W

HP Recommended

Well, that is a lot more detailed and clearer info than they provide on the motherboard specs. Yet tech support told me in chat and on phone that the CPU I have will definitely work.

HP used to be a great company, but this is shoddy.

HP Recommended

Ok, I cleared the CMOS and tried the new CPU again.

Still same error message

Anybody got any ideas about what to do with the new CPU, as it looks like I am going to have to take it back, swap it or sell it. But I dont have confidence in anything HP have written on the website, or anything tech support tell me.

If anyone reading this has got one of these working in this motherboard then please let me know.

Does anyone have any experience of modded BIOS?

HP Recommended

I would exchange it for this processor Phenom II-X4-925 2.8G Deneb that was in that list. I don't see why it would not work if it was shipped on the same board. And the information comes from HP's internal system information. You would be helping a lot of people looking to upgrade to a quad if it works.

HP Recommended

Well the returns policy is that I cant return it unless its in a sealed box. Which it isnt. So I have to do something with it first - either mod the bios or sell it I guess. If I sell it then I will look at upgrade, but to be honest I am so angry with HP at the moment that I dont want to make a decision about another CPU.

When I bought this computer I thought I was making a good decision, but now I have had to deal with the TERRIBLE tech support and misleading information written on the website, typed to me in chat and told to me over the phone - well, if a company is prepared to lie like that then what CAN you trust them on?

Last time I make this mistake. 

HP Recommended

I hear you on that. I remember when buying mine. It did not come with a rear chasis fan. I asked HP what size fits. I called in and they did not even know what I was talking about. Out sourced customer service ftl. I could hardly understand them from the broken english. So I asked online chat. They assured me it was 120mm fan. Not even close. I even asked on the forums and could not get a reply. It ended up being a 92mm fan that was needed. I think they sell these things for cheap with no upgrading in mind for people and hope you do not require assistance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.