Question

Tutor
rcross
Message 1 of 18 (2,937 Views)

PLS HELP! How do I restore pc to manuf condition after replacing hard drive

PLS HELP! How do I restore pc to manuf condition after replacing hard drive I am trying to restore a friend's computer (HP Pavilion a6244n) to manufacturer condition but she had a new hard drive put in it 8 months ago (WD5000-AACS-00ZUBO). Her computer kept rebooting itself and then coming up with an error screen that was very grainy. I ran diagnostics on all the hardware and it all passed with flying colors. She has Vista and the pc is only two years old with mild use. She has been without it for a week.

When I try to restore back a month, it says there are no images created and system restore does not want to work properly. Now I cannot even get it to boot in normal mode... Thank you for any assistance you can provide!!!! (by the way, when the retailer put in the new hard drive, they did not create any recover dvd's)
Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 18 (2,958 Views)

Does she have a set of "system recovery" or "Restore" discs

Check the product page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3552345&lang=en

for restore disc info.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Tutor
rcross
Message 3 of 18 (2,906 Views)

Re: PLS HELP! How do I restore pc to manuf condition after replacing hard drive

You are so kind. Thank you. When she had the system set up by Best Buy, they never created or gave her the recovery DVD. When they came out last summer claiming she needed a new hard drive, they created one... then did not leave it with her. Of course now, it will not let me create another one. I am disputing with Best Buy now and the manager is checking into getting them for us... but that could take weeks. In the meantime, she has had no computer for 1 1/2 weeks. I brought her old HP/seagate hdd home and hooked it up. I ran diagnostics on the hard ware and it passed with flying colors. I was able to easily  backup all of her data from that old hard drive. ... now I just need to get her computer running again. When I put in a Vista (PE restore image DVD) in hope that it can pull anything from that in order to restore to manufacturer condition  it tells me it cannot repair the computer automatically... it obviously is wanting the manufacture DVDs... any suggestions would be so helpful. I am trying to help her out and this has been very time consuming. She will now and in the future, need the restore DVD's ...
Intern
RAMP
Message 4 of 18 (2,904 Views)

If its vista please go to F11 during the startup of the windows and it will take you to the recovery manager and then you can try recovery from there.

remember you will also get system restore, so select recovery and proceed.

Or it would be best if you have recovery cd's which will erase and reinstall the OS on the HDD.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 5 of 18 (2,863 Views)

If the D: partition is still intact follow these steps for Recovery.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00814731&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3552345

I wouls suggest spending the 16.00-20.00 for a good set of Recovery discs from HP. Call them and they will help with getting you some recovery discs.

1 (888) 999-4747

Tutor
rcross
Message 6 of 18 (2,823 Views)

Thank you so much... that is exactly what I ended up doing. The article you recommended was great. It will be a wonderful resource. i am adding it to my bookmarks. Thank you for assisting~
Professor
1badGuard
Message 7 of 18 (2,851 Views)

That's great. Now try and see if it offers you the chance to make the Recovery Discs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00882383&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3911791

Intern
RAMP
Message 8 of 18 (2,853 Views)

You are always welcome!

have a gr8 weekend :smileyhappy:

Tutor
rcross
Message 9 of 18 (2,811 Views)

Help - system restore not working! I'm confused I ordered the system restore dvd's. Tried to repair and even restore to manufacturer condition... Even when it looks like it is working when it comes up to the final reboot, it fails and asks the usual do I want to start in Normal Mode. I cannot get it started in any mode.

I even took the drive out and formatted it incase it had a trojan or virus... to no avail.

I even changed the drive letter on the main drive... no avail.

the harddrive in the computer now is not the original from HP (which was a Seagate). Best Buy replaced it a year ago with a WD. Could this be why the restore is not working?????
Professor
1badGuard
Message 10 of 18 (2,793 Views)

Is the D: partition for recovery still on the installed hard drive?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation