Question

Tutor
rcross
Message 11 of 18 (1,491 Views)

Re: PLS HELP! How do I restore pc to manuf condition after replacing hard drive

Yes. But it is called "I" drive... It does have the recovery files on it.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 12 of 18 (1,488 Views)

Tryt to open the I drive. Does it stop you from entering?
Tutor
rcross
Message 13 of 18 (1,486 Views)

Thank you for trying to help... I can only open it when I hooked up the drive to another computer. I can see the boot files and restore folders. When I try to boot this hard drive in its own system, I am assuming it tries to boot to the C drive, which I unfortunately changed to Y in an effort to fool the system.

Is there a way I can boot to this "I" drive and have it try to restore? When I put in the HP recovery dvd's, I would think that is what it is doing, but after the final reboot... it fails. I thought about creating a new partition... but am not sure if the recovery would recognize it and use it. Is it possible that the "I" drive is corrupt? The rest of the drive I have formatted therefore wiping any virus or trojan out.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 14 of 18 (1,481 Views)

I'm getting a little confused. You stated "they did not create any recovery dvd's"

1. Are you using the hard drive they installed?

2. Did you format it? if so, with what?

3. What recovery discs are you using? The ones made for that computer or some other discs?

4. Did you try to change the drive letter to D: ?

Intern
RAMP
Message 15 of 18 (1,464 Views)

It could be that the HDD which you have replaced may be a reason why the recovery is not working but the D partition will not be as you have tried using the recovery cd's.

try a test on the HDD from BIOS and see if its passing.

Top Student
skeletor
Message 16 of 18 (1,399 Views)

assuming    that   the   problem  is  due   to   mbr  corrupted.....    or     boot    files   corrupted....     and   not   a  dead   hdd....      if    you   can  install   the faulty  hdd    as  slave    in  another   computer.......     you   can  copy     your    recvery  partition     to  your  new  hdd..............        firstable      you need   to  get     a     hdd      tool    manager     like    acronics      disc    director   10....      install    acronics     in   a   working   computer....   and    look     for  the  option  .......::""""create   bootable     media"""     once     you    have     created    the    recovery   disc.....    run   this   disc    in  the     the   computer      that    you  want   to restore......you   need    to  have   both   hdd   conected  to  the  computer.......from   the  main  menu      select      copy   parttion..........""""""the recovery  partition""""""  copy     to   an  unlocated     space....       if  you   dont  have    any  unlocated  space    left......you   can  try   to  resize     one   of  your   patitions.......or   delete  one    its  up  to  you.....   once       you    have  copied    the  partition.....   restart   your  computer........and  press and  hold  """R""   until    the   recovery    processes  menu   appear...then    just  follow   the  screens.......   good  luck
Top Student
skeletor
Message 17 of 18 (1,396 Views)

TO  RUN  THE   RECOVERY   DISC      YOU   NEED    TO  MAKE     YOUR   CD   ROOM     THE    FIRST    BBOTABLE    DEVICE    ........TO   DO   THIS    START    YOUR  COMP...  PRESS      F1     AND   GO TO  BOOT   SECUENCE   AND  SELECT     CD ROOM    AS   FIRST   BOOT   DEVICE ..............OR    JUST    PRES     ESC    AT    BOOTUP     AND   SELECT    CD ROOM......    THE  ONE    THAT   YOU    PLACE  THE  CD .........
Top Student
skeletor
Message 18 of 18 (1,392 Views)

I FORGOT  TO  TELL YOU       THAT  AFTER    YOU    HAVE  SUCCCESFULLY    COPIED      THE  RECOVERY   PARTTION....    TO  THE   NEW   DRIVE .....    YOU   NEED    TO   MAKE     THE   NEW  DRIVE ......    AS    FIRST  BOOOTABLE  DEVICE.......
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation