Question

Top Student
PieGuy32
Message 1 of 9 (518 Views)

PSU light blinking on m7160n

Hello Everyone!

After re-arranging my computer setup, my media center m7160n's PSU light has been blinking.  Before the renovation, it was working fine.  I have attepmted HP's PSU troubleshooting article, but all steps gave no success.  I have the original PSU installed.  The only modification I have made is install a discrete graphics card, which is not the source of the issue.

Thanks to all replies!

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 9 (508 Views)

Re: PSU light blinking on m7160n

Well, more than likely the "discrete graphics card" is the reason for the Power Supply problem.  Depending on the card that was installed, many of the better graphics cards require a bigger power supply.  So, first give the Make and model of the graphics card, then check the power supply for a watt rating.  Come back with the info.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
PieGuy32
Message 3 of 9 (504 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply.

The graphics card is an ASUS GeForce GT 440 which was factory-overclocked to 810MHz, but requires only the PCI-E bus power, no 6-pin or 8-pin connectors needed.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 4 of 9 (499 Views)

I understand the idea, but try the computer without the card to see if it works as before.  I still think on the power supply it will tell the size in watts, which I do not see in the post.

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Top Student
PieGuy32
Message 5 of 9 (498 Views)

Same result without the discrete GPU.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 9 (490 Views)

Assuming the powersupply troubelshooting guide you followed was this one: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=470506&tmp_t...

It indicated  "If the LED is still flashing (it should not flash with all connectors removed), plug the power cable into a different power outlet that is known to be good. If the LED still flashes, the power supply should be replaced."

That would be my next step.

Top Student
PieGuy32
Message 7 of 9 (487 Views)

Ok, PSU light is solid when MB cable is disconnected.  But as soon as it is connected, it start flashing again.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 8 of 9 (473 Views)

That could mean the motherboard has had a failure.  Now that might also mean something on the motherboard or mounted on the motherboard. Remove the video card, also making sure there is nothing else plugged into the ports.  Now, what are the results when doing that test?

Top Student
PieGuy32
Message 9 of 9 (461 Views)

the result is still the same.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation