Question

Tutor
ubertoad
Message 1 of 11 (2,484 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion Desktop p6217uk fan problems

Hi just got a hp pavilion desktop p6217uk yesterday and I seem to have a problem with the fan. It goes from being very quiet (even off i think) then goes gradually louder until it roars so much I can't hear the sound from the speakers anymore. It does this at A) Startup, B) When I log on and C) pretty much everytime I play a game or run an aplication. It really is loud and the constant turning on/off is annoying. Surely this cant be right? Does anyone know of a fix for this? Help would be appreciated thanks, Ben.
Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 11 (2,458 Views)

Re: Pavilion Desktop p6217uk fan problems

Ubertoad, is it the case fan or the fan on the video card?  I would first try installing the latest driver for the card.  Personally, I always used 'Option 2' to locate the proper driver when I had nVidia based cards.

Let us know if this helps. 

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 11 (2,437 Views)

It is neither, it is actually the cpu fan and now its doing it quite randomly when i use media player or even sometimes browsing the internet.
Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 11 (2,429 Views)

ubertoad wrote:
It is neither, it is actually the cpu fan and now its doing it quite randomly when i use media player or even sometimes browsing the internet.

Okay, this is different.  This sounds to me like the CPU is getting too hot.  Possibly the thermal compound was not properly applied and there is a hot spot.  If you are so inclined, you could remove the fan, heatsink and CPU and clean the surfaces.  Then, reapply the thermal compound and reinstall them.  If not, I would contact HP if your computer is still under warranty.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 5 of 11 (2,414 Views)

For startup, it sounds normal. Notebooks do this as well. Once the OS takes over, it slows down the fan. When running intense graphics, the fans will kick in to cool the CPU / graphics. When the system is idle, the fans should start quieting down. 

Tutor
ubertoad
Message 6 of 11 (2,402 Views)

PC_Tester wrote:

For startup, it sounds normal. Notebooks do this as well. Once the OS takes over, it slows down the fan. When running intense graphics, the fans will kick in to cool the CPU / graphics. When the system is idle, the fans should start quieting down. 

Errr... yeah I can accept it doing it at startup but doing once im playing games or doing something on it, it is an unreasonable volume and for quad core processor, running windows media player, is not an intense demand. The only time it is quiet is when I am not using it or simply browsing the computer, I do anything and the fan goes mega loud (around the same volume as a hairdryer).
Tutor
ubertoad
Message 7 of 11 (2,397 Views)

OK I think that is definitely the problem... Im using speedfan to monitor my cpus temperature and idle is around 70*C but when im playing games that goes up to around 100*C
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 8 of 11 (2,390 Views)

just an idea....

There are two versions of the browser, IE 32 and 64-bit. If you run the 64-bit one is it still loud?

You can't install plugins for IE8-64-bit (or vendors are not writing them). So if the fan noise is low using that version of IE, then it must be the flash / streaming enabled websites you're going into that are kicking up the GPU/CPU when running IE 32-bit maybe

Provost
old_geekster
Message 9 of 11 (2,388 Views)

ubertoad wrote:
OK I think that is definitely the problem... Im using speedfan to monitor my cpus temperature and idle is around 70*C but when im playing games that goes up to around 100*C
Ubertoad, I don't know what the maximum temperature for your CPU, but the idle temps even seem a bit high.  The load temps are definitely out of sight.  I suggest contacting HP Customer Service.  Something needs to be corrected before irreversible damage is caused to the system.  This kind of heat will not only damage the CPU, but the socket, also.

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Message 10 of 11 (2,375 Views)

OK thanks i have contacted them and they are coming to have a look at it tomorrow... Hope they can fix it, thanks for your help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation