Question

Tutor
stevenlareau
Message 1 of 3 (1,951 Views)

Pavilion Elite M9552p - reset bios to default?

Bear with, this is bizarre.

Bought a second hd for this computer, and went into setup in the bios to check to see if it was recognized, and it was.
I selected to exit saving changes.

On reboot, I didn't see the HD in the post, so I went back in to setup.

It was there, and exited.

On reboot, I didn't see it a third time, so I went back into setup.

It was there, and as I toggeled through, a screen came up for the video card settings.

I didn't think anything of it, and exited saving the settings again.

Apparently, and I'm guessing here, that I must have changed the video card selected, and now it's reverted  to the video card that came with the system as default, which shouldn't have, as I have upgraded the video card.As it closed out, I thought I saw possibly an "on board video"as selected, which is bizarre as there's no video on the mobo at all.

Now- I see nothing on the screen at all on bootup and the computer won't start.

I have both a VGA monitor and a hdmi monitor hooked up to the current video card, and  both screens are blank.

So- is it possible to clear out the bios settings? If I swapped out and reinstalled the original video card, might that be the key to getting the system back up and running?

Would yanking the battery on the mobo clear out the settings and set it back to default?

I went from happy to finally have enough hard drive space to compile an amimation project to a computer that is dead in the water.

And while I'm at it, is there a trick to removing the hd cage? I've removed the two screws, then pressed on the lever at the bottom  of a cage with a screwdriver, but the thing won't budge.

I really need to get this system up and running again soon, and I haven't found anything yet on these boards or in the support section addressing this particular bit of weirdness.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (1,948 Views)

Re: Pavilion Elite M9552p - reset bios to default?

Hi stevenlareau,

On the link below are the motherboard details for you PC.  Near the bottom of the page you will see the procedure to clear the CMOS which should help you get your display back.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01324212&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01637846/en_...

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 3 (1,947 Views)

Re: Pavilion Elite M9552p - reset bios to default?

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that in order for your new HDD to show up under Computer you will first have to go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Managenent,  double click storage, double click Disk Management, highlight the drive and Format it ( create new simple volume wizard should open ).  Once done, your drive will show up under Computer as you would expect.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation