Pavilion Elite m9370a Graphics card upgrade (317 Views)
Top Student
DarkPallys
Message 1 of 10 (317 Views)

Pavilion Elite m9370a Graphics card upgrade

Hi there,

I bought a new graphics card for my PC, however the system is not recognizing it, not sure why..

Any ideas what it could possibly be?

The graphics card is a Asus GTX560Ti, I have a 650W power supply atm..

It's all very squished in, but things seem to be running ok.

Thanks!

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 10 (214 Views)

Re: Pavilion Elite m9370a Graphics card upgrade

DarkPallys wrote: Hi there, I bought a new graphics card for my PC, however the system is not recognizing it, not sure why.. Any ideas what it could possibly be? The graphics card is a Asus GTX560Ti, I have a 650W power supply atm..

It's all very squished in, but things seem to be running ok.Thanks!

Hello DarkPallys, The power supply does seem to have enough capacity for the video card.

Can you advise if the video card requires any additional power connectors. Many higher performing cards do.

You might try removing the video card and reseating it.

Is the system booting or how are you determining the system is not recogonizing the video card?

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Top Student
DarkPallys
Message 3 of 10 (212 Views)

[ Edited ]

EDIT: Also, I installed a genuine Windoes 7 Professional 64bits, and since then I've been having CPU spikes, in fact I had one just then.. any suggestions?

It does require 2 power connectors, which I have already connected, I'm currently using the integrated graphics card on the pc, (I'm posting from it)

And the card seems to be powered, I see the fans running (I have the case open next to me).

The system is not displaying the card under the Device Manager. Have tried reseating it, but I'll try again!

ref. http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2860/unled1yk.png

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 10 (204 Views)

[ Edited ]

DarkPallys, welcome to the forum.

Have you connected both of the 6 pin power connectors? This is necessary for the card to run properly. The last thing to do is update the driver. You may have to do this with the original video card installed.

I read that many users have complained about the fact that the majority of the heat is exhausted into the case.  This doesn't sound like it is your problem since the computer hasn't run for any length of time before the card is not recognized.  Although, when you do get the computer running, the small size of your case may cause a problem with the heat. 

Please let us know if this solves your problem or not.

Note: Since I read your last post, I am beginning to believe that the card may be too far advanced for your computer.  I have seen this happen in the past.  If the most up to date driver is installed, it is the only explanation that I have for the situation.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 10 (201 Views)

I'm currently running windows 7 professional 64bits as mentioned on the previous post. I attempted to overall the drivers from the cd that came with the card, but it says you have to install the asus graphics card first o.o

I only just installed the card last night and it wasn't working from the beginning
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 6 of 10 (197 Views)

[ Edited ]

DarkPallys wrote: EDIT: Also, I installed a genuine Windoes 7 Professional 64bits, and since then I've been having CPU spikes, in fact I had one just then.. any suggestions? It does require 2 power connectors, which I have already connected, I'm currently using the integrated graphics card on the pc, (I'm posting from it)  And the card seems to be powered, I see the fans running (I have the case open next to me). The system is not displaying the card under the Device Manager. Have tried reseating it, but I'll try again!

Hello DarkPallys, The photo looks a little odd. The specifications for your system shows it was shipped with a Geforce 9300GS and the onboard GeForce 7100 video device.

Normally, a HP system will disable the onboard video device when a discrete video card is installed.

The photo shows a nForce 6301 video card as well as the onboard GeForce 7100. This puzzels me.

This may be part of the chipset drivers. I didn't investigate that. Some chipset driver packages install the video drivers for some onboard video devices.

If you installed the new Asus video card with an upgraded power supply, and the new video card does not show as your photo shows, it is possible the new video card is faulty.

If you have another PCIe x16 vidoe card, you might install it in place of the new video card and see if the onboard video device is disabled and the other card is recogonized. I know everyone does not have these cards just laying around.

It is also possible the PCIe x16 slot could be faulty. This scenario seems just a little weird to me.

I also use the Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia site rather than from the manufacturer's site since they may be a little older.

Here  is the link to the Nvidia site where the drivers for your card can be found. Look in the Supported Products for your card.

Just some thoughts.

Top Student
DarkPallys
Message 7 of 10 (181 Views)

Before upgrading to the GTX560Ti, I was using the one that came with the computer, the NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GS, and the integrated card was disabled. I doubt the PCI-E port is faulty, since the previous gfx card had been using it.. :smileysad:

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 8 of 10 (167 Views)

DarkPallys wrote: Before upgrading to the GTX560Ti, I was using the one that came with the computer, the NVIDIA GeForce 9300 GS, and the integrated card was disabled. I doubt the PCI-E port is faulty, since the previous gfx card had been using it.. :smileysad:

Hello DarkPallys, It is looking more and more like your new Asus video card may be defective.

It appears you have done all the diagnosing you can do without any success.

The only other thing I could think of is if you had access to another system that you could install the Asus card in and test it that way.

Other than that, I would be trying to return it for another card.

That would really be a shame since this seems to be an outstanding video card that should work in your system.

If you manage to get it or another one working, I would take the old_geekster's advice and watch the temperatures of the card and the system closely. This is a high end card and power supply in a smaller case.

Top Student
DarkPallys
Message 9 of 10 (164 Views)

I'll be taking my computer in to the local computer store where I bought the card from and see what they can do. I'm considering buying a new case, since it's a real pain to work with this case anyway! I kind of do and don't hope the card is the issue.. I waited a fair while to get the card, the warehouse sent the wrong card, twice.. But I also do hope it's the issue because I'll have to speed more money :-p
Provost
old_geekster
Message 10 of 10 (161 Views)

Dark, if you are going to upgrade the case, I suggest going to a full size case. I will never have another computer without one. They have enough room to allow you to work on it comfortably and the airflow is superior. These cases cost a bit more money, but are truly worth it. Make certain to assure the case will accomodate your motherboard.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!