Question

Honor Student
Garmon
Message 1 of 5 (169 Views)

Pavilion P6 2060sc. - PSU can handle graphics adapter?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

A bit frustrated here,- would really appreciate it if anyone is able to help out. It seems I am not able to find any way to contact HP ( I see I can send mail or call - for some kind of fee ) - but that I can not afford right now. 

I was just looking for some technical assistance, - and if there really is no way for me to be able to ask a technical question in chat with support, and there is no e-mail adress in existence, - which is for this purpose -- it would be fantastic if someone had any input here.

Product name : HP Pavilion P6 series Desktop Computer. Model. no. p6-2060sc

My pc died, and after a couple of weeks, I got it back and report said that PSU had failed (known error on this model) - and that MB also had failed,- both was replaced.

So when I just got it back,- I wanted to do some upgrade at the same time,- and I got the assistants at the store where I bought it - to provide me with some written info on what my pc could handle. After a search - I finally found , and ordered a graphics card, - and made sure the specs were within the range I was given.

At the site I ordered it (https://www.komplett.no/zotac-geforce-gt-630-4gb-physx-cuda/800550?gclid=CPnC5sCO1r0CFeEGcwodjZYAjg)... it says minimum 300w PSU or greater.

But when I receive it today,- I see on actual case,- it says a minimum of 350w with a minimum 12V current rating of 20A

( Based on a pc configured with an Intel Core I7 3.2GhZ processor)

--------

So my question is simply - will my PSU handle this ? I already talked with technical support at the site i ordered it,- and they said that I had to contact HP. One of the reasons stated was that the PSU not always operate at the given Watt. And after all - the 350W requirement is based on a I7 processor,and I have an I3,- and as I understood it,- the higher,- the more power consumed.

I just do not want that my whole PC will "die" again, short circuiting or what happened, - with MB and PSU fail.

PSU info says:

AC Input: 100-240V--50-60Hz --- 6A

DC Output: +12Va----12A

+12Vb----16A

-12V-----0.3A

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

2 x 4GB ram.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30 GHz

-----

Any help is appreciated very much so.

T.J. - Norway.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 5 (151 Views)

Re: Pavilion P6 2060c. - PSU can handle graphics adapter?

Hi,

The video card manufacturers base the minimum power supply wattage on many factors and not just what processor is installed in the PC.

Stay with the minimum wattage size recommended by the video card manufacturers. That will help eliminate the finger pointing should problems occur. Check with HP Sales and see if HP has a HP OEM video card that will work with your PC.

TIP: Get your PC up and running stable before attempting to install a new video card.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Garmon
Message 3 of 5 (118 Views)

Re: Pavilion P6 2060sc. - PSU can handle graphics adapter?

Hi,

Thanks for the input!

The PC is running stable and fine. I got some advice, - and was told that they thought it would go just well, - to install this card. And was told to stress-test , after installing. That the worst thing that can happen - is that the pc simply turns off. Irritating yes,- but critical , no.

Of course, - this was not very reassuring, - not was it from an expert either. It would feel like gambling somehow.

As I have understood it,- I have a Cupertino2 MB.  I do not know the specifics of the PSU, - so I was wondering if someone here maybe had some more detailed information, - or tip about which other PSU would be affordable, and available. If that is what would do it. Install a new one with more wattage than the current one,- which says 300.

Thanks also for tips about contacting HP. My warranty has just expired a few weeks ago,- so as I have understood it,- I have less rights, - or less alternative ways to contact someone with technical information.  Support sites do not recognize the model.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 5 (113 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am not sure what you are asking for since you already know the published power supply specifications. Video card manufacturers tend to build their particular video cards differently to show some value over the other video cards being marketed by other manufacturers. As such, the power (wattage) requirements may differ.

Who do you what to believe? The third party web site or the video card manufacturer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
Garmon
Message 5 of 5 (106 Views)

[ Edited ]

I spent time to make sure I ordered a card that was compatible. Shortsighted of me, I guess - not to worry more about the power supply than I did. But I bought this one, mostly because it had the same wattage-requirement as my PSU is. I thought. So -of course- it arrives,  and the package says 350w and site said 300w. Not good either.

So that is the problem I guess, - that I want to believe the site ( or any advice that support me installing the card right now ), - only because I went through troubles in the first place, and the shop then had misguided advertising.  But I see it would be incorrect.

Goal was just to upgrade my system for better performance.  I don't have a clue about anything relating to the PSU, - I just wrote down the information. I don't even understand it. Just know that in order to do this the safe way, I have to replace the power supply. Is it possible with this model ?,- if so - how do I find one that is fittable/compatible ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation