Question

Top Student
drowsy99
Message 1 of 5 (523 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion RAID Controller sees my larger drives following OS reinstall, but Windows doesn't.

[ Edited ]

I pulled the two orginal 500 GB drives out of my CTO Pavilion (set up at the factory in a RAID 0 configuration), and replaced them with two WD Velociraptor 1 TB drives.  I booted from my OS recovery disc set (3 DVD's), and restored the system.  The restore wrote to one of the drives.  After going through all the first-time Windows startup stuff, I ran the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) utility and rebuilt the RAID 0 volume, taking the option to preserve the data residing on the first drive.  The volume build took several hours.

The Intel RAID controller sees that the drives are 1 TB drives, and it built a 2 TB RAID 0 volume.  However, even after rebooting a few times, Windows 7 only sees 1 TB total space on the C: and D:  (factory image) logical drives, instead of the actual 2 TB RAID volume.

How do I get Windows to recognize the larger volume?  Is there any way, or is the 1 TB capacity "hardwired" somewhere in my system?

Note that throughout this process, I've left "SATA Controller Mode" = "RAID" in BIOS.  Given the faster 10K RPM of the Velociraptor drives, I'm flexible regarding the RAID 0 configuration; two independent drives would be OK, if Windows would recognize their true size.  I therefore conducted a little experiment:  I booted into BIOS, changed "SATA Controller Mode" = "IDE", saved and exited.  The system won't boot in that drive config, so I kicked off another restore from my OS recovery disc set.  It rewrote the OS to one or both hard drives (who knows), but then the system would not boot, presumably because the drives are connected to some physical Intel RAID controller hardware, and will therefore only work in the BIOS "RAID" controller mode.  I recycled power, entered BIOS and changed the controller mode back to "RAID."  As suspected, the system won't boot, so I'm now going to reinstall the OS with the controller back in RAID mode, but before I do that, I'd like to determine if there's a way to get Windows to recognize the 2 TB volume.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 5 (503 Views)

Re: Pavilion RAID Controller sees my larger drives following OS reinstall, but Windows doesn't.

Hi,

Please post the HP product number for your PC.

How to Find the HP Model Number and the HP Product Number or let HP automatically find your PC model number and HP network attached printers.

I potentially see a big OPS.

When adding two new drives to replace the original hard drives you should have booted in the Intel ROM by using CTRL-I at boot time and the deleted the original defined array volume and then defined a new RAID 0 volume set. Once that process is finished you should be able to view the final volume size of 2TB. At this point you should reboot and use your HP recovery disks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
drowsy99
Message 3 of 5 (502 Views)

Re: Pavilion RAID Controller sees my larger drives following OS reinstall, but Windows doesn't.

[ Edited ]

Model #: HPE-350t
Product #: WS389AV#ABA

I used CTRL-I on reboot and entered the Intel RAID management utility.  It has 4 options:

1. Create RAID Volume

2. Delete RAID Volume

3. Reset Disks to Non-RAID

4. Recovery Volume Options

Since my preference would be to have 2 independent disks, I selected option 3, and the Intel utility reconfigured the disks as 2 NON-RAID disks (each is 1 TB). 

However, when I exited and Windows booted, it still only sees 1 TB in File Manager:

Hard Disk Drives (2):

OS (C:smileyhappy: 919 GB

HP_RECOVERY (D:smileyhappy: 11.5 GB

When I run Intel RST from Windows, it sees both disks:

Internal system disk 954 GB

Internal disk 954 GB

Intel RST tells me that I have an unused disk, and asks if I want to use it in a volume, but I've already been down that road before.  I can create a 2-disk volume, but Windows 7 only sees 1 TB.

Where is the contraint?  Is there a DIP switch setting on some hardware?  Is there a different way to connect the drives to the mother board?  How do I get Windows 7 to see 2 TB of disk space? (either in a RAID config or NON-RAID config, although the latter would be my preference).

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 5 (494 Views)

Hi,

Since you prefer two independent volumes then do the following:

Open up the RUN command (ADMIN) and enter:

diskpart

list disk

select disk x (x equals the target disk #2)

clean exit

Now go into Disk Mangement and initialize/format the hard drive as mbr and create a simple one partiton volume of 1TB and be sure to assign a drive letter to the newly created volume.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
drowsy99
Message 5 of 5 (488 Views)

Thanks for the advice; always nice to find out about some utilities you never knew existed.

As you suggested, I ran Diskpart and cleaned the second drive (instantaneous).

Then I went to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management.

I right-clicked in the unallocated area of the second disk on the graphical display, and went through the dialogue to create a new volume and assign a drive letter.  Fairly painless.

Then an "Autoplay" window opened on the desktop, and there was my second 1 TB drive.

The world is wonderful. 

Now I just have to delete all the bloatware, apply 3.5 years of Windows and HP updates, reinstall and reconfigure all my apps, reload my data, do some miscellaneous tweaking, and call it a day.

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation