Re: Pavilion Slimline s3040 CPU upgrade (1925 Views)
Honor Student
EnglishRob
Message 1 of 2 (1,938 Views)

Pavilion Slimline s3040 CPU upgrade

Hi folks,

I was recently given a Pavillion Slimline s3040 by a friend who was upgrading.  Now this machine is pretty bare bones, it's not got a hard drive, memory or CPU.  Now I have some memory that I know works and I have an SATA hard drive kicking around but I wasn't entirely sure about the CPU support.

The system used to have an AMD Athlon X2 3800+ CPU so I presume I'd have to find something around this level.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find a new Athlon X2 3800+ anywhere (apart from at stupid prices on eBay).  I was wondering if anyone knew what the highest spec CPU that this board would take?

I'm planning on using the system as a high definition media centre PC (not sure if I'll stick with Vista or install MythTV yet) so I'm trying to get a comprimise between CPU speed and the noise.

I found a document here which suggests that it will take a 65W Athlon X2 so I presume the newer Kuma based CPU's won't work.

So I'm wondering if maybe something like the Athlon X2 4850e 45W CPU would work?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 2 (1,925 Views)

Re: Pavilion Slimline s3040 CPU upgrade

I have the same motherboard in my slimline and the max is around Athlon64 X2 5000+  65 Watt. Trust me when I say whatever you hear about the newer processors working. They will not.

You may also want to read this and if he/she did not send it in you may have issues later.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01514044&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=342...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation