Question

Honor Student
42WallabyWay
Message 1 of 3 (701 Views)

Pavilion not booting up - fans on high - orange LED light - power button not working to shut down

Hi,

My HP Pavillion p6510y is not booting up. I have tried searching for any help online. 

The problems are as follows:

• No boot up (no BIOS either)
  • Steady orange/amber LED 
  • Power button works to initialize system startup, but will not shut it down

I have tried the following:

• Removed ATX power from motherboard and power cord then hold down power button for 10-30 seconds
  • Removed RAM and booted up without to check for system sounds (none)
  • Did a rudimentary PSU swap (I was swapping the PSU to a 630 watt from the orginal 250 watt)
  • Used different RAM
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Left unplugged overnight
  • Looked for bulging capacitors on motherboard

Nothing has worked so far. Before this problem, I had wiped and reformatted the hard drive to factory settings. I shut it down and let it go through the installing updates. At the end (I think) it shut down and I started having this problem. All I get now is the fans on high and a steady orance/amber LED. Also, the power button does not work to shut it down. I have to either flp the power switch on the PSU or unplug the unit. 

Thanks, 
Henry

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 3 (664 Views)

Re: Pavilion not booting up - fans on high - orange LED light - power button not working to shut dow

[ Edited ]

42WallabyWay, welcome to the forum.

Was one of the updates for the BIOS?  This sounds like it could be a BIOS problem.

Also, I can not find the model that you gave in HP's Support pages.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (654 Views)

Re: Pavilion not booting up - fans on high - orange LED light - power button not working to shut dow

Thank you for the welcome, geekster. 

I have no clue. There were 135 updates when I was shutting it down. That could have been one of them, but I tried clearing the CMOS by both removing the battery and moving the jumper. If you think that is the problem, I'll give it another shot. 

Here is the HP page for it:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4223474

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation