Question

Honor Student
cybergast
Message 1 of 6 (329 Views)
Accepted Solution

Pavilion p40 fails to boot after installing a gtx 760

Hello,

Recently I bought a new graphics card, power supply and case to put my pavilion p40 in.

Moving the computer to the new case went fine, I installed a new PSU to power the gtx 760.

Also: nothing blew up, wich is nice.

But after installing the card and wrapping everything up, booting the computer fails. The post screen appears but freezes, accesing the bios while the card is installed with internal graphics is impossible.

My question is: Is there any way of updating the BIOS wich can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (323 Views)

Re: Pavilion p40 fails to boot after installing a gtx 760

[ Edited ]

Please identify your desktop PC with a complete and correct product name and\or product number.  Look on the sides or rear for a service tag. Post the complete alphanumeric string after the p\n.

From my own similar experience, I can suggest that you return the card as non working in your motherboard. Replace itwith an equivalent AMD Radeon HD video card.

Some motherboards just do not work with NVIDIA cards and some do not work with AMD Radeon cards. It is an unfortunate truism that I and many have experienced. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
cybergast
Message 3 of 6 (318 Views)

[ Edited ]

Serial number: {Private Information Removed}

Product number: LN847EA#ABH

Model number: p7-1040nl

I hope this helps

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (314 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks
:smileyhappy:

The problem you are having has been noted before and appears to be an  issue with the newer  PCI-e 3.0 video cards and your motherboard. There was a discussion of this in a thread at Overclock.com with the link provided by  @TheOldMan .

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
cybergast
Message 5 of 6 (252 Views)

I bought a new motherboard, but it's nice to know what the problem was. Everything is working now :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
jupiter39
Message 6 of 6 (158 Views)

Had the same problem with Windows 7 on the Cupertino2 mobo and GTX 760.

Fond a solution by accident. I dont know whether step 1 or 2 are essintial, but since I had performed them before they are included here:

1: Upgrade the HP bios from v7.14 to v7.16. I have done it with no GPU in the PCIe slot. Used the mobos VGA connector for the screen.
2: Delete all Nvidia files and drivers incl. registry. 
3: Build in the GTX760. Make sure both the 8 and the 6 connectors cable from the PSU (600W) is connected to the graphic card.
4: Switch on the PC. As soon as the Bios screen is coming up press F12
5: New black screen with white letters and some information on configuration. At the lower right side it should show "Network Boot".
6: Wait 1 minute. There come 2 beeps with about 1/2 minutes interval. 
7: Some 15 seconds after the second beep press "ESC" and keep on pressing. After some seconds some rapid cracking sound from the PC. Dont let it disturb you. Keep on pressing "ESC".
8: After the third beep the screen gets black and a white cursor blinking on the upper left. But: Keep on pressing "ESC" with no interruption. 
9: After some seconds again a new screen appears with some information in DOS style. Here you can stop pressing "ESC".
10: Again black screen a few seconds, and then: Voila! Windows 7 is starting.

I dont know why its working, but it does for me. No new mobo needed :-)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation