Question

Intern
Intern
Les
Message 1 of 6 (3,790 Views)

Pavilion p6150t mouse driver question

I recently (less than 2 weeks ago) purchased a Pavilion p6150t CTO computer for my son (Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit). I chose the standard optical mouse/keyboard option (i.e., the cheapest one). The mouse is an optical wheelmouse , with the wheel acting as a third (middle?) button when pressed.

When I access the mouse control panel, I'm only presented with options for programming the left and right buttons, but not the center (wheel) button (I can set wheel options when the wheel is used for scrolling). When I go to the HP driver download site for this computer, I can't find any updated drivers, nor can I even find a part number for this mouse.

As an experiment, I installed an intellimouse driver (the same driver that I use for my Microsoft mouse). The HP mouse seems to function properly with this driver, and the Intellimouse control panel has an option for programming a center button. However, this option doesn't work with the HP mouse.

Does HP make a driver that will allow me to program a center button with this mouse? After all, they provided a mouse that apparently has center button functionality (the wheel clicks a switch when pressed). Why would they do that if they don't provide a driver that would take advantage of this capability?

Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 2 of 6 (3,773 Views)

Re: Pavilion p6150t mouse driver question

Can you provide the model or p/n of the mouse?

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Intern
Intern
Les
Message 3 of 6 (3,761 Views)

Thanks for the response, Adam.

I'll get the mouse model and p/n when I go over to my son's house today. It's just the basic default mouse that comes with the computer if you don't elect to upgrade it.

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 4 of 6 (3,754 Views)

I don't think it's meant for one to use Microsoft Intellimouse software with a non-microsoft mouse. I have a Microsoft Wireless 5000 mouse and that is appropriate to use with it but on an HP mouse no.

The middle wheel button when pressed is for Vertical Scrolling.

For example, open up Internet Explorer and go to any website that requires u scroll down like youtube, myspace... and press it and you'll see a symbo in the middle with 2 arrows pointing up and down meaning u can move the mouse up and down and scroll fast. Press again and vertical scrolling is off.

This is true for any mouse out there that has a presable middle button wheel.

I don't think it's meant for you to program this mouse' middle button. It could be possible but if doesn't work, then it doesn't work.

Intern
Intern
Les
Message 5 of 6 (3,740 Views)

Adam:

HP P/N: 505062-001, Rev.A

M/N: M-U0009-HP1

c0rnel:

I have had success in the past using an Intellimouse driver with a Logitech mouse, and a Logitech driver with a Microsoft  mouse, so I was hoping for the same here. But if there's a true incompatibility between an HP mouse and other drivers, so be it. But it's worth asking the question.

Student
Jond00
Message 6 of 6 (3,351 Views)

Adam and Les --

I have the exact same issue. I also tried using the Microsoft software. Did you or anyone find an answer to this. I was thrilled to see the exact same question, but disappointed that there's no resolution in the thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation