Question

Tutor
CharlieSummers
Message 1 of 8 (1,095 Views)

Pavilion p7-1235 Issues...

Pretty sure this thread will get longer, as I've only had the thing for a few hours and am already running into unnecessary problems...just trying to stop all the unnecessary services and applications HP shoves in there to sell their crap is hours and hours' worth of work. At least when done I can get half the processor power back from all the ideling.

Main issue right now: Installed an antec EasySATA - not so "easy," since the designers of this tower decided to make sure the bezel couldn't possibly accept anything other than a DVD drive. Right now I'm running the thing with the bezel completely removed, so it not only looks stupid but is screwing up the airflow. Short of a hacksaw, is there any solution to this poorly-designed front cover plate? (Yes, I know I can remove the cover parts, but the cutout is still too narrow for a hard drive to match the antec opening. Really missing the good ol' days when designers assumed a full 5" drive area...lord, even the dead a6700f had full-drive knockouts.)

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 8 (1,084 Views)

Re: Pavilion p7-1235 Issues...

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The Antec EasySATA does stick out aways according to what I looked at the Antec web site.  I looked at a similar product about a year ago that fit flush but again the door flap was an issue.  Did you try both latch positions to see if you can get the frame to slide back flush?

Have you considered an external dock solution? 

BTW, most of these types of docks will only support SATA II speeds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
CharlieSummers
Message 3 of 8 (1,074 Views)

[ Edited ]

The Antec EasySATA does stick out aways according to what I looked at the Antec web site.

No it does not; there is nothing odd about the EasySATA - it fits the case just fine. The problem is the bezel...even removing the lower door and plate leaves a hard frame higher than the drive opening (cutting at the height of a CD/DVD drive). I routinely place drives in computer cases. I know how to install them. What I can't figure out is how this case would be designed to prohibit anything but a second CD/DVD drive.

Have you considered an external dock solution?

I really hate answers that basically say, "What you're doing is wrong, even though it is a perfectly legitimate device and works perfectly well in almost every other manufacturer's machine. Spend more money and buy something else to overcome this computer's deficiencies."

I have external docks, both SATA and USB. Indeed, this device has an eSATA connector which can't be used with the bezel attached, either. SATA II is just fine for copying files. The problem is not the drive, it's the flipping bezel. If I were to replace anything at this point, pretty sure it would be the computer. I worried about buying another HP after the a6700f blew, but I got a good price, Now I can't use a drive I had in the older HP computer, and you suggest it's the device's fault?

One more time: is there a solution to placing and accessing a non-CD/DVD device into this specific HP computer? Or are my only options running the machine without the front bezel, or returning it?

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 8 (1,071 Views)

[ Edited ]

Antec EasySata.jpg

If you are not open to suggestions then why are you out here?

There is nothing wrong with what you want to do except the bezel is the issue as you have already stated.  Frankly, I like your solution if the cabinet was accommodating. Too bad it's not SATA III as I might be interested in it for my needs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Tutor
CharlieSummers
Message 5 of 8 (1,059 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you are not open to suggestions then why are you out here?

I asked a specific question on a support forum. Answering a different question makes no sense. I didn't ask for solutions to hot-swapping SATA drives for file copying/backup since I already have one, I asked what I can do about this specific problem caused by the design of an HP machine. This board's setup tends to lead  experts to answer the questions they want to answer instead of those that were actually asked. It's frustrating from the perspective of the questioner. "Q: How can I fish?" "A: You don't want to fish, you want to hunt."

As to your photograph, it's a publicity photo...they are showing the drive extended for publicity purposes only - surely anyone who's actually worked on a machine would know that. The drive sits flush with the case when installed properly (yes, this is the actual machine, bare-chested as it were):

The Drive sits flush to the DVD drive above it.

Yes, the drive protrudes a wee bit, but with a normal case with a standard 5" drive knockout, this would not be an issue. The problem, I say yet again, is the bezel; while a good picture of the problem eludes me, the bezel assumes nothing more than a second DVD drive, with a hard-edge (badly circled Nuts...circled the upper drive frame not the lower) beween the door and the switch which cuts about a third down the antec's drive opening:

20120813_221731_002.jpg

I realize the photos aren't great - if you want to truly understand the problem, check out an exploded view of the bezel including doors and frames.

I'm basically asking if there is a replacement bezel without this idiotic flaw.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 8 (1,049 Views)

[ Edited ]

I posted the above image of your device for the benefit of the community.  I certainly realize that it was not in a full installation position but I did asked which latch position was being used.

I think I understand your issue well enough since I had a similar issue with the e9280t cabinet.  I tried to install a dock behind the second optical door and ran into issues.

One question often leads to other questions from what I have seen from thousands of posts on this forum.  It's actually quite logical.  You may not agree but that is the way it is.  Many times there are and multiple answers and options for any given issue.

I'll look over your images tomorrow after they get posted.

HP Touchpad
Tutor
CharlieSummers
Message 7 of 8 (1,024 Views)

Forget my lousy photographs; http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03359399.pdf pp13 clearly shows the bezel has holes only large enough for a CD/DVD drawer, which while allowing installation of the EasySATA, prevents insertion of a disc into it. This is clearly by-design, IMHO a serious flaw, and cannot be overcome without either a replacement bezel or a chain saw.

For giggles, I searched the parts store; no listings whatsoever for the p7-1235. Naturally.

Also couldn't find data on the motherboard; the firmware HP provides seems a bit crippled in the SATA area, so was hoping to find external firmware to solve another SATA issue, or at least a spec sheet on the motherboard to track the SATA connectors.

Gotta tell you, I really like the processor - it rips through the standard stuff without breaking a sweat (once killing all the unnecessary bloatware apps and services that leech cycles, of course) and handles quite nicely tougher stuff like using MeGUI to convert 1080i transport streams to 720p h264 MKVs. But in the 26-hours or so that I've owned this, I've learned to despise the machine itself. From the massive amounts of unnecessary software requiring trips to StartUp, Services, and RegEdit to quiet, to the bizarre bezel design (gotta admit I do like the metal case design, though, identical to the old a6700f), to the display issues with a KVM (worked-around in AMD's control panel), it's been a truly miserable day. And that ain't a great advertisement for HP products.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 8 (1,022 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Charlie,

I agree that the front bezel design could have been more accommodating for installing other devices behind the optical bay.

As a side note, I have been looking at cabinets that have hot swap bays for a while now. Corsair makes a nice one but it's quite pricey. ICY Dock also make a number of internal front panel single and multi bay inserts that fit flush but again a different cabinet is needed.

BTW, page 13 shows the same issue that I ran into with my e9280t cabinet, which I already knew.

HP Touchpad
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation