Pavillion a6235x Desktop won't boot up (2257 Views)
Honor Student
zetec7
Message 1 of 5 (2,257 Views)

Pavillion a6235x Desktop won't boot up

When I looked at my computer after work, it was frozen - attempted a restart, shut down but no start up after.  Blue power light on, all fans working, some hard drive activity, but nothing to the monitor & no beeps.  Many, many attempts later, found that unplugging & re-plugging the keyboard gave me a brief glimpse at a blue screen ( couldn't access anything, though - plugging in the keyboard caused instant powering down).  Also got a brief glimpse at black screen with error message that the CPU fan had failed.  Took out the fan (3-wire, sitting on top of large heatsink, held on with lever &  clips), blew it out with compressed air (nice and clean, turns freely with no noise). 

Now it won't boot for more than 1 second before shutting down again, even before the keyboard, mouse, video card, etc. are active.  I've spent hours removing and replacing the CPU battery, trying to press F11, etc. etc., with no changes at all.

Is it likely my motherboard has failed, hard drive, or what?  HELP!!!

Master's Graduate
GeorgeFN
Message 2 of 5 (2,174 Views)

Re: Pavillion a6235x Desktop won't boot up

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00899280&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3577455&tmp...

You may have already seen this document or tried some of the solutions, but it might be helpful if you haven't.

Good luck.

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
zetec7
Message 3 of 5 (2,167 Views)

Well, I was eventually able to boot up the computer.  The unplug/push start for 30 seconds/try again thing about 30 times, and I finally got a boot up.  I think part of the problem is I had Frostwire on there, and it started up & tried to log on before the boot had finished, so I finally managed to remove it.  Then I did a system restore to about 3 weeks ago, and thought everything was fine.

Now, however, after 20 minutes or so, the keyboard suddenly doesn't function.  Hardware device manager says it's properly plugged in (it's the original HP PS/2 style) and functioning normally, but it doesn't do anything.  The NumLock light is on, but none of the keys function.  If I unplug it and re-connect it, the keyboard lights stay off.  The computer says it's still there, functioning normally, even when it's not plugged in at all.  Tried another keyboard, exactly the same results.  When I plug in a keyboard (any keyboard) its lights flash briefly, then go out.  Re-booting the entire computer (a cold start only...the "Restart" option doesn't work, either - the computer just goes to sleep) causes the keyboard to come back to normal, for a while (20 minutes or so).  Typing along on an email, when suddenly there's no response.

I have NO idea what to do now.

BTW, I did try to do a Windows backup (I've got Vista Home Premium), but it locked up after about 5 hours trying to burn one disc, so I gave up on that.

Anyone have any ideas why the keyboard would suddenly (and repeatedly) not function?  I'm WAY out of my depth here!!

Thanks in advance...

Regents Professor
wb2001
Message 4 of 5 (2,123 Views)

GeorgeFN gave you excellent advice. The tutorial and repair options are clearly defined.

Did you ever make the "Recovery DVD set and Bootable Hardware Diagnostic CD" ?

That machine is barely 3 years old. There are options, and brute-force solutions.

1)  If you can make the DVD and CD set, do so

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00882383&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

2) If not, you could order a set from HP at a very nominal cost ($20-25 based on recent comments)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

3) Install another hard drive, and install VIsta. If all is functional, you have eliminated all other hardware

1TB (vs your 500GB) $65    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433

As a sidebar to eliminate a thermal issue, could you operate the computer without the side cover for 24 hours?

BTW - P2P BitTorrent application on a work computer is, IMHO, dicey at best.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, HP Deskjet F4135

Honor Student
ChrisJb
Message 5 of 5 (2,064 Views)

I have an issue with my HP NX6235 where it starts and the lights come on but there is no beep or and activity on the monitor of the laptop. I have plugged it into an external monitor with the same effect. I have replaced the mother board with a new on but have the same results. Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation