Question

Top Student
dkearn
Message 1 of 6 (2,026 Views)
Accepted Solution

Personal Media Drive Problem - Windows Delayed Write Failed

I have a 1TB Personal Media Drive (hd10000x) which does not work with my Pavilion Elite e9120f machine running Windows 7.  When I try to write to the drive using either the dedicated bay or a USB connection, it will write a small number of files(anywhere from 8 - 100), then reports an error "the system cannot find the file specified".  In the Event Viewer \ Windows Logs \ System I get thousands of warnings "An Error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk6\DR6" and "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log.  Corruption may occur".

This is my second Personal Media drive, I had the exact same problem with the first one and returned it after spending 90 minutes online with HP support trying to diagnose the problem (with a friendly yet not very knowledgeable help-desk technician).  His best guess was Norton AntiVirus, yet the drive failed to work when the machine was booted in Safe Mode and the AntiVirus software not loaded.

The drive works fine with my old Dell Laptop running Windows XP, but not with my brand-new HP desktop.  I think it must be a driver conflict but can find nothing in the forums or elsewhere online.

Ideas anybody ???

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 2 of 6 (2,012 Views)

Re: Personal Media Drive Problem - Windows Delayed Write Failed

You need to install this update

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Top Student
dkearn
Message 3 of 6 (1,999 Views)

That seems to have done the trick - thanks
Honor Student
gschex
Message 4 of 6 (627 Views)

Our computer with XP crashed and we had to get a computer with Window 7... We've been trying to learn this system ever since; still conplex, confusing, hard to find things, and I don't understand Windows Media software much in regard to playlists.  

Anyway, we purchased the Personal Media Drive hd1000x 1T and we have the same problem...  HOWEVER... WE THE COMPUTER DID NOT TELL US FILES WERE NOT BEING BACKED UP!!!!!  We did get a replacement and tech support said it was running perfectly.  I TRUSTED THEM!!!!!!!!!  Now it's been past the warranty (purchased 2009) and after much study on how to figure out how to compare the F: drive to the C: I realized it only backs up sporatically; i.e., some files backup, some don't and for no apparent reason; i.e., they are the same regular, normal extensions.  HP EMPLOYEES HAD ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS SELLING ME A PRODUCT THAT DID NOT WORK WITH WINDOWS 7.  I just noticed that it says for Vista and XP.  What's up with that?  I've been had!  And, I'M MAD AS HELL! 

Honor Student
gschex
Message 5 of 6 (625 Views)

[ Edited ]

Regarding my reply above on 12/24/11, the link... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972... shown above on 11/28/2009 was not for my computer. Anyone have a driver that will work to correct my problem. I have files never backed up since 2009!!!

Honor Student
gschex
Message 6 of 6 (613 Views)

Update since 11/24/11...
The following download corrected the hp employee error of selling us a Personal Media Drive hd1000x in 2009 that didn't work with Windows 7.  We had a replacement once due to failure, however we didn't really know it wasn't backup up "all" files until 2011.  It sporadically chose them... with many files never backed up.  When calling Hp support, some tried to help, but after a yoyo to 4 different people, the last one simply said it is not supported anymore and refused to budge.  In the first place, HP employees should have informed us this product wouldn't work with Windows 7.  In the second place, since they didn't and we purchased it, the update should have given us the following new HP Sure Store download automatically without us looking all over the place for a solution thinking that we had to throw the unit away and lose $130 that hasn't been actually working since 2009 and we didn't know it.  Updates were automatic so why weren't there any updates to this software?  Why were we even sold this product?

Here's the update.  Your have to format the F drive, which takes everything off of it including the software "HP Sure Store" to make it run, then you download the version in the link below which IS compatable with Windows 7!!!!!!!  And... even though it doesn't mention it would work for hd10000x Personal Media Drive.  Here it is and why didn't HP tell us!!!!!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-82077-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

or go to www.hp.com and type in: "HP SureStore Application Update" (including " marks)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation