Question

Honor Student
rickt
Message 1 of 4 (1,126 Views)

Phantom Disk F: on my system

Good afternoon

I don't know if I have a problem on my s5110t system, but it in any case it is a condition that I would like explained. I am currently in dialogue with HP Total Care but thought that I would also throw it out here.

After booting my system, if I look at Start -> Computer, I see the following 4 disk drives or devices

HP (C:smileyhappy:
FACTORY_IMAGE (D:smileyhappy:
DVD RW Drive (E:smileyhappy:
Removable Disk (F:smileyhappy:

If I try to open disk F:, I am requested to 'Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (F:smileyhappy:.

Additionally, if I click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon on the task bar, I see 'Safely Remove USB Mass Storage Device - Drive(F:smileyhappy:'. If I click on this, the system tells me that 'This device can now be safely removed from the computer'.

The only things that are plugged into my USB ports are the mouse and the speakers.

I clicked on properties and got the following.

Removable disk (F:smileyhappy: properties

General

Type: Removable disk
        File system: Unknown

Used space: 0 bytes
        Free space:  0 bytes

Hardware

All Disk drives

WDC WD5000 AAKS-65A7B2 ATA Device        Disk drives
            Multi Flash Reader USB Device                     Disk drives
            ATAPI DVD A DH16AAL ATA Device               DVD/CD-R...

Device properties

Manufacturer: (standard disk drives)
            Device status: This device is working properly

What is drive F: and why does it show up even though my USB ports (except and speakers) are empty?

I am wondering if Disk F: is somehow associated with the Multi Flash Reader USB Device and if so, why does it appear when there is no physical hardware attached?

Having been plagued recently with a virus and tracking cookies, I have developed a level of paranoia with things on this system that I can not explain.

Thank you for your help.

Rick

Tutor
tonychilson
Message 2 of 4 (1,120 Views)

Re: Phantom Disk F: on my system

Rick, you are correct that the additional drive is the Multi Flash Reader USB Device.  The reason this drive is listed even when nothing is in the drive is because the reader is using a USB port internal to the computer and is active whenever the computer is on.

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
Honor Student
rickt
Message 3 of 4 (1,119 Views)

Thank you for your quick reply. That certainly helps clear up one of my most recent concerns.

Student
schmud64
Message 4 of 4 (349 Views)

I have exactly the same issue, except when I go to create a home network and I get to the part to save this info for my other PC the only removable drive I am allowed to use is this phantom F.  I have a blank CD in my CD drive but I am not allowed to use this.  Please help

Thank you

Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation