Question

Honor Student
kfullerton0
Message 1 of 3 (599 Views)

Planning on upgrading processor for HP Pavillion a6863w

I just purchased an HP Pavillion a6863w  for a rather good price considering the hardware inside, but the processor is just a tad too slow for my taste.  I read up on what was compatible with the motherboard installed(780g AM2+) and saw that I can put in an amd phenom x4 9950.  What worries me is I have seen alot of reports online that this particular mobo chipset cannot handle a processor over 95W(even though they are listed as being able to), and this processor is listed at 125W. 

I was about to give in and go for the 9650, which is listed at 95W, but after more research I saw that AM2+ mobos can support AM3 processors with a simple bios update.  Upon looking at the bios update patch notes for my model I saw this  

"Updates microcode to support newer AM3 processors."

Does that mean it will support AM3 processors or am I not reading this right?  So my question would be, what AM3 processors are supported with this mobo because the motherboard model given(MSI MS-7548) doesn't show up on MSI's website? 

Thanks in advance.

Grad Student
gkdiamond
Message 2 of 3 (587 Views)

Re: Planning on upgrading processor for HP Pavillion a6863w

The motherboard is made specially for HP and will not show up on MSI's website. With that BIOS update the motherboard will support an AM3 processor. The motherboard in your computer is recommended with processors up the the Phenom 9950 with the Agena core which is 95W. I would think that you would be fine with the Phenom II 945 (the newest one with a TDP of 95W) which is an AM3 socket processor. I personally wouldn't want anything over 95W and the 945 would be my choice at 3.0GHz and 6MB of L3 cache.

Honor Student
kfullerton0
Message 3 of 3 (577 Views)

Re: Planning on upgrading processor for HP Pavillion a6863w

Awesome thanks for the reply.  I can rest a little easier now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation