Powe on my Pavillion (1064 Views)
Top Student
BrownPavillion
Message 1 of 10 (1,064 Views)

Powe on my Pavillion

I recently had the power switch on my PC replaced. I have an HP Pavillion a300n. It was working fine and then I tried updating the RAM. Once I changed out the cards it didn't wanna boot up right. Is the NetBios on the RAM? Do I need to keep the original card in the first slot? I tried putting it all back together but now the when I push the power button the front the computer goes on the off 1sec later and then repeats this till I hold the button down. Did the shop not repair the switch? Please someone help me, I just need my computer decent to search for jobs
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 10 (1,041 Views)

Re: Powe on my Pavillion

When you purchase upgrade RAM for an HP PC there is something important that you should know.

If you want the RAM to work on initial installation, you have to purchase guaranteed compatible RAM from a major memory manufacturer (i.e. Corsair , Kingston and a few others). The manufacturers that I listed have memory configuration tools at their website that will help you purchase the proper RAM that will work in your PC. If you just go out and buy "just any RAM sticks" you are taking a big chance, since the RAM probably will not, as you have found out, work. HP BIOSes do not give consumers the ability to adjust the primary and secondary timings of the RAM to allow it to work. That is a choice that HP made to protect novice users from themselves. That is my own opinion.

Incompatible RAM installed in a PC will not allow a PC to boot because the BIOS checks to see if it sees RAM that matches its tables as part of the boot process. If your PC's BIOS sees incompatible RAM it will either not allow the system to start or begin a startup and shutdown loop  that will drive you nuts.

regards,

Erico   

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
BrownPavillion
Message 3 of 10 (1,031 Views)

I put the system back together and it still will not work. The original card is back in the first slot by itself. Could I have somehow erased the card?
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 10 (1,018 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can't really "erase" memory modules. It is possible to damage them with static electricity discharge, but that is not something that happens often.

From your description of the problem it would seem a good option to clear the CMOS. The link goes to your moterboard specs.look at the last item on the motherboard specifications page. For you pc's motherboard the procedure is really simple. Unplug the power cord. Remove the CMOS battery. Depress the power button for 10 seconds. Replace the battery, close the case, plug in power and attempt a start of your system.

Please post your results here.

regards,

Erico 

Message Edited by erico on 06-18-2009 01:22 AM

****If my suggestion was helpful, you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up***

****Please mark Accept As Solution if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having****

Top Student
BrownPavillion
Message 5 of 10 (1,005 Views)

Clearing the Battery stopped the vicious unstoppable cycle, but now it just tries to start and then 1sec into it the sytem just shuts off. How fustrating

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 6 of 10 (999 Views)

The switch is just a normally open contact.  Don't think it was defective.  You could do the same by shorting out the two power pins on the motherboard to start the PC. 

I'd reseat all connectors in the PC.  Use only the original RAM.  Disconnect the hard drive.  Pull the power plug and CMOS battery on the motherboard for one day.  Connect only the mouse, keyboard, and monitor to PC.  If you cannot boot into the BIOS screen, then the power supply may be bad.

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 10 (992 Views)

Try starting it with a single stick of RAM. Try each slot. Afterwards go to the isilaotion process. But try the single stick method first.

Regards,

Erico 

Top Student
BrownPavillion
Message 8 of 10 (986 Views)

Switched slots, no change. What were you saying about the installation? process??   Trying the other suggestion of disconnecting everything and let it sit overnight. Let ya'll know how it goes tomorrow
Provost
erico
Message 9 of 10 (966 Views)

BrownPavillion wrote:
Switched slots, no change. What were you saying about the installation? process??   Trying the other suggestion of disconnecting everything and let it sit overnight. Let ya'll know how it goes tomorrow
The "installation" was a reference to the ( first time) initial installation of the new memory modules.  I described why guaranteed compatible memory modules  would work and non-guaranteed compatible memory modules likely not to work in your PC at all. 

Top Student
BrownPavillion
Message 10 of 10 (837 Views)

Just to update the Forum..... I took the computer to the shop and the controller and RAM slot both failed. Will cost too much to fix so I will be purchasing a new computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation