Question

Honor Student
TheSchmegster
Message 1 of 5 (1,012 Views)

Presario Desktop PC model SR1124NX has running fan

I keep my computer on for days and hours at a time now.  the fan is running a lot. Does anybody have specs or comparables for the fan. I would like to know how often and for how long should the average fan be on for. I was wondering if I should replace the fan or is there an update to fix this problem. This has been going on for 3 years now. However, how long are the fans expected to live in accordance with a pc owners usage. I do not want to  come home to a dead computer one day especially if it overheated and i could have prevented it.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 5 (1,005 Views)

Re: Presario Desktop PC model SR1124NX has running fan

It may be time to clean the insides of the pc.Unplug the PC and open the case. Use a can of air to blow out dust from around the processor,fans,etc. Make sure to hold the fans to keep them from spinning when using the air.

When did you last perform a system recovery?

Have you updated the bios?

Honor Student
TheSchmegster
Message 3 of 5 (999 Views)

thank you. I can do as you advised.  Unfortunately, i had serious problems when i first purchased my presario. They made me do 3 or 4 system recovery's one was drastic. I need to install this recovery console disk. I fought for it  because the d drive the virtual memory has only enough space for MAYBE one more recovery. The disk is suposed to set the walls or something to do with the configuration. It was a nightmare talking to people in India. The instructions were imposible to follow and I am still in fear it will make things worse some how. I have 1.03gb space available out of 4.07gb in my vr d drive.
Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 5 (985 Views)

The D: drive will not change. It always leaves extra space incase it needs to update the recovery partition.

Make sure you leave only the mouse,monitor and keyboard connected. Disable the internet while performing this until you need internet again.

You need to perform a Destructive Recovery. When you get to step 5 pay close attention to the steps.

See: Recovering during startup

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07145&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=426594#bph07...

Student
chipper09
Message 5 of 5 (438 Views)

I have a similar problem on a Presario 2170. The fan runs continually if the room temperature is above 75. I have cleaned the fans and cpu before but that didn't help. How would a bios upgrade help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation