Question

Tutor
Razorhawg047
Message 1 of 21 (2,937 Views)

Primary Master Drive Fails....

I have a HP Pavillion 751n, that has kind of become my little project, its my Girlfriends PC from some years back and it quit working on her, originally I had the system32 hal.dll error in which it said the file was missing or corrupt, I got the home version of Windows XP and proceeded to try and install it, well after a few hours of frustration i finally realized how to get around the Hal.dll error but now everytime i boot up the computer it tells me the Primary Master Drive fails and gives me the options of F2 to continue or F1 to go into the system and try and manually fix it, i've tried everything i know to do but i can't get it to read the Primary... Subsequently when i get into the window's XP setup process after it unpacks and goes to the install mode it tells me Window's XP does not read a Hard drive... I can't help but think these two problems are related, and if so I'm at quite a loss, and quite frankly probably in over my head, any help would be greatly appreciated...
Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 21 (2,912 Views)

Re: Primary Master Drive Fails....

Is this the original hard drive?

Have you tried a new ribbon cable for the hard drive?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 21 (2,907 Views)

Sounds like the hdd needs to be replaced.Just be sure to get EIDE, not SATA type.

Examples:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=134

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Grad Student
nazcar4u
Message 4 of 21 (2,902 Views)

the hard drive is getting ready to fail. If you can find a new/replacement hard drive, swap it in.
All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Tutor
Razorhawg047
Message 5 of 21 (2,873 Views)

Okay so here's the scoop, i suppose during the Hal.dll trouble there was a major issue and now i'm having to reinstall XP, so i cant get on the internet with that particular PC, I've considered borrowing a friends PC with a floppy Drive and downloading the RAID drivers and isntalling them as XP is installing but I have a feeling that will lead to only more disappointment because i'm betting your correct and this Hard drive is shot... So here's my next question if i were to go to Best buy and purchase a Seagate SATA/300 500G Hard Drive, (Shown Here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8294632&st=Internal+Hard+Drive&type=product&id=1172880... ) Will this Plug and Play and work even when i'm still installing XP and its not on there already?

I've done a lot of work with computers, well a lot of amateur work, and frankly this is my first Hard Drive replacement, so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated...
Regents Professor
8lives
Message 6 of 21 (2,857 Views)

As CherylG pointed out, you need a EIDE drive at a SATA one.

Also due to the age of the BIOS I would stay with a 80 GB drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
Razorhawg047
Message 7 of 21 (2,828 Views)

Here's the latest, Got the new Hard drive, Its Western Digital, EIDE, popped it in, check the Jumpers, hooked it up powered on and it worked like a dream, started the installation of XP with SP3, I got completely done with the first part partitioning the drive and so on, then it goes to the part where it "restarts" then will complete the setup, well after it restarts it reverts back to the screen where it says Primary Master Drive Fail, F2 to continue F1 to go to setup, if i hit F1 mess around or do whatever, even Reset to Factory Defaults, when it exits and restarts it simply states "Disk Read Error" Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart... if i shut the computer down, and restart it it reads the HDD again but it won't continue the install (takes me back to beginning like i never started the xp install), I'm afraid im frustrated and stuck, the only thing i know to do is try and do a repair because when i get into the xp screen for the first step (partitioning) it shows that the space is used up as normal... I am officially stuck...
Regents Professor
8lives
Message 8 of 21 (2,820 Views)

Did you replace the IDE ribbon cable?

When was the last time you changed the motherboard battery?

Is the HD connected by itself to the motherboard?

Did you try a different HD power connector?

I am not a HP employee.
Tutor
Razorhawg047
Message 9 of 21 (2,806 Views)

I havn't replaced the Cable because I figure it worked before it needed to Restart and everytime i turn the PC completely off and back on it still reads it, however it just wont continue the INstall process i have to start it over, The power cable and the Ribbon Cable seem good, it is connected alone to the Motherboard, And i personally have never changed this Motherboard Battery...
Regents Professor
8lives
Message 10 of 21 (2,781 Views)

Before looking at your XP problem you must get a stable computer.

Change the cable from the motherboard to the disk drive.

Change the battery on the motherboard.

Boot into the BIOS setting and make sure the drive is recognized, set time/date and save the settings and re-boot.

Check the BIOS settings more time, are then the same? Yes continue / NO STOP

I am not a HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation