Question

Top Student
Andrew7
Message 1 of 10 (1,276 Views)

Problem Transferring Video Files to Computer Through USB - HP Pavillion 500-097 Desktop PC

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a new HP Pavillion 500-097 Desktop PC with Windows 8 and I have really been enjoying it! I have been using an 8GB USB Drive that I have to transfer things from my old computer to my new computer, although I have noticed a problem when trying to transfer video files.

When a video is transferred from the USB Drive to the computer (or even if it is just played right from the USB Drive) depending on what type of video file it is it will either have no picture or the video will play faster than the audio. Initially I thought that maybe it was a problem with playing videos in general, although videos on websites like YouTube and even videos that I download off of the internet play perfectly fine. I also know that it is not a problem with my USB Drive since transferring videos from my video camera to my computer through USB results in the exact same problem!

At first I was transferring them to my computer through a USB 3.0 Port, so I thought that might be the problem. Although even after trying it with a USB 2.0 Port the problem still persists. To my knowledge this is the only type of file that I am having trouble with, as the music files that I transferred seem to be playing fine.

So I have no idea what could possibly be causing this crazy problem, and how I might be able to fix it. And help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 10 (1,269 Views)

Re: Problem Transferring Video Files to Computer Through USB - HP Pavillion 500-097 Desktop PC

Hi,

Which software player are you using ? Have you tried the following software ? Which file type(s) do(es) not play properly ?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Andrew7
Message 3 of 10 (1,267 Views)

Re: Problem Transferring Video Files to Computer Through USB - HP Pavillion 500-097 Desktop PC

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the reply!

.AVI and .MPG are the two types of videos files that I have tried transferring and I have had problems with both (with .AVI the video plays faster than the sound and the .MPG file shad no video at all but I could still hear the sound).

Top Student
Andrew7
Message 4 of 10 (1,251 Views)

Huge Update!

Alright I've figured something out. I just tried to transfer a video file from my old computer to my new one using Dropbox, and it still resulted in the video playing too fast! I guess that means that the problem isn't connected to USB.

After that I noticed that the video that I had downloaded earlier from the internet that worked fine was actually a .MP4 so that is probably why it didn't have a problem. The question then is why am I having trouble with the other kinds of video files?

Provost
banhien
Message 5 of 10 (1,247 Views)

Hi,

Have you tried VLC yet ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Andrew7
Message 6 of 10 (1,245 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just tried VLC and it played the video correctly! Thank you for suggesting that.

Unfortunately I would not consider this problem solved though. I don't understand why it should matter what program I play the video in. I also do some video editing occasionally, and I use Windows Movie Maker for some things. Unfortunately the fact that the videos don't play right in Windows Media Player also transfers over to this, and as a result it causes problems when I render a video. As in after rendering a video it will play incorrectly even if I play it in VLC.

So I guess this problem is related to Windows Media Player now then? I should note that I opened Windows Media Player, right clicked, went into "More Options", went to the performance tab, and I disabled "Turn on DirectX video acceleration for WMV file" and enabled "Drop frames to keep audio and video synchronized" although this appeared to do absolutely nothing.

Thanks for your continued support! :smileyhappy:

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 7 of 10 (1,239 Views)

Hello,

Small contribution to this post.

Try updating the codecs: http://windows8codecs.org/

Thanks,

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Top Student
Andrew7
Message 8 of 10 (1,231 Views)

Thank you very much! I installed that and now videos play in Windows Media Player perfectly.

Unfortunatly the video still plays faster than the audio in Windows Movie Maker. If I could just get that cleared up then everything would be perfect!

PhD Student
SomelOguh
Message 9 of 10 (1,190 Views)

Hello,

Maybe the problem is related to those specific videos.

Have you tried using other videos and does the problem persist? I have seen those problems, and normally the issue is the video files, or outdated codecs or the software you are using to play them.

Thanks,

I work for HP! Please remember to provide kudo.JPGand if this helped click ON AS.JPG

Student
DianefromCali
Message 10 of 10 (838 Views)

I have and HP Pavilon 23 I bought a few months ago.  I transferin video and pictures from my Samsung Galaxy III and the sound is not coming thru with the video file?  I saw the comments about upgrading the codecs and went to the CNET site. My computer said it wa unusual or malware and would not allow me to use the file.

http://windows8codecs.org/

Any suggestions.

Thankyou,

DianefromCali

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation