Question

Tutor
saz25
Message 1 of 4 (215 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem adding a hard drive to Pavilion Elite HPE-380t

Hi,

I am trying to replace my existing 1TB hard drive with a new WD drive. So I intended to install the new WD drive as the 2nd drive and then to run the WD Acronis utility to clone the original to the new drive.

However, when I install the new drive, the BIOS recognizes it, but I would expect it to show up in Windows 7 as perhaps drive D, but it does not. When I run Acronis it says that it does not detect any WD drive.

I went into the BIOS and ran the drive test/self check and it passed.

I notice that the SATA1 Controller is enabled. I didn't check it before I install the drive.

The SATA1 Controller mode is RAID. Not sure what it was previously.

Oh, and I plugged the new drive's SATA cable into the motherboard connector directly next to the SATA connector as my original drive.

Has anyone else gone through this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (199 Views)

Re: Problem adding a hard drive to Pavilion Elite HPE-380t

Hi Steve,

Go into Disk Management and make sure that the new drive is online. When it comes online then you should be prompted to format and initialize the new hard drive. Use mbr format.  You should be able to assign an unused drive letter to the new hard drive.

You will probably run into an issue such has the HP recovery not working from the HP blue screen. If you don't need that function and you have a set of the HP recovery disks then don't worry about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
saz25
Message 3 of 4 (197 Views)

You are correct. That was the answer, sort of. After I booted into Windows 7, I went into Disk Management and enabled the new drive. I let the system assign drive letters. I then rebooted.

Then when I came back to Windows again, I was able to run the WD Acronis True Image utility to clone my original source drive to the new drive. When that completed, I shut down the system, removed my original drive and made the new drive my only drive.

Everything works great. I have successfully replaced my hard drive.

thanks for the tip.

Steve

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 4 (162 Views)

Steve,

The verbiage that you are using is somewhat misleading. The new hard drive if not online or not initialized would have to be placed online or initialized or both.  There is no enabling as a term in Disk Management.  Depending on what state the hard drive was in you might even need to manually create a New Simple Volume even after selecting MBR or GPT. 

The trick with assigning drive letters is that you do have a choice although it may not always retain that drive letter.  Sometimes I deliberately assign a high drive such as letter "z" if I know that I will be re-adding shortly another HD into a lower physical sata port.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation